Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:50:59 AM

Author Topic: Feedhold stops spindle  (Read 6340 times)

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
Feedhold stops spindle
« on: January 21, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »
Hi
I installed Mach on a lathe and when I hit the spacebar the spindle shuts off. Is there a setting to keep the spindle on. It stays on when I feedhold on my router but I can't find a way to make it work on the lathe.

thanks
Derek
Re: Feedhold stops spindle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
Derek,

In a case like this, I believe I would do a reinstall - even rename the new installation. Then uninstall the old (malfunctioning) one.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
Derek i believe the space bar acts like hitting stop in lathe

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »
Afraid I never use the keyboard shortcuts so not sure if its normal, I have tested in simulation and the spindle LED is still flashing so I presume it would still be running. I will have to wait a few days to test for real as I am working away from the workshop tomorrow.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
Actually just tried with the standard lathe screen and looks like the LED does turn off, seem to remember Brett saying HotKeys for Mill and Turn are different so presume that is one of the differences :(
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »
My suggestion was a bit premature - in that the mill doesn't 'stop' with the space bar but 'feed holds'.

Makes sense for the lathe....I shut down the spindle to change a quick change tool....habit!

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
Hi guy's
This is a fresh install. I've been putting up with this for  while. I just don't feed hold during a cut. It would work a heck of a lot better if it operated like the mill. Having to make a choice between feedholding during a cut and loosing a carbide or waiting til the end of the cut saving the carbide but possibly loosing the peice sux.

Derek

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »
I agree, wonder if there is a setting somewhere? As I said I dont use Hotkeys, in fact I hate them so have them all (as many as I can anyway) disabled on my screensets. I use external buttons on a panel for things like that but I realise not everyone wants to do that.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
The standard lathe screen has ESC & SPACE BAR as STOP the feedhold is F

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
Thanks Phil.

This brings up something that's bothered me for a while. Why are the hot keys  different for mill and turn. That's dumb.

Derek