Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 07:32:40 AM

Author Topic: Warning-zero length line?  (Read 7098 times)

Warning-zero length line?
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
Hello everyone, hope all are well today. I am encountering a problem using Mastercam. Sometimes when I am scaling an object down, an error pops up saying warning-zero length line. It won't let me continue at all and closing it out is not possible. It is very frustrating since the only way to continue is to close down the program and start from scratch. I don't know if it's mcam warnning me or my system. I have enough ram and space on my win xp. This only happens occasionally. I researched the web but don't see much and what I do see I can't understand what to make of it. Does anyone else know what this means and how to fix it? Thanks sincerely.
Re: Warning-zero length line?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
sometimes get something like this when importing and exporting data, tolerance settings (say for iges) on import and export can be used to merge data points or remove short lines (0.000001mm level of size), you may have some thing like this happening when you are scaling - a line or edge was larger than this but scaled the system may try to remove but can't (can't merge points), have come across with 3d CAD systems (not often) - try scale factor very slightly different size (0.501 rather than 0.5) or try to scale in native CAD system.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes it's just one little line in there that can kink it all up. Mcam let me scale as small as 10%, and no further than that. I sent it over to Lcam and shrunk it down another 50% and it came out nice and clean. I found in some cases Mcam did a real nice job getting my initial toolpaths processed, and Lcam's ease of use allowed me to manipulate it further. Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I have had similar problems when engraving fonts. I get a zero radius error.  I can't seem to find it.  All of the code verifies in BobCAD but stops dead when I try to machine it.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
I found since that it is a Mcam warning that usually pops up when the geometry just doesn't support the command. I's usually a general warning that occurs for sometimes obvious reasons like trying to extend a line to an unsupported point or sometimes not so obvious reasons that may lie inside the geometry that can't be seen. Either way, I found that by hitting esc first after the warning pops up, it goes away smoothly.