Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:11:28 PM

Author Topic: smoothstepper losing communication  (Read 15617 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
smoothstepper losing communication
« on: January 18, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
I've got a problem with the smoothstepper losing communication during a job.  It seems to do it randomly, sometimes within the first minute, sometimes, after 4 minutes.  The computer hasn't crashed otherwise.  It's a completely clean system, only thing on it, is mach3 and the smoothstepper software.  I even shut down the network card when I'm trying to run the mill.  Any ideas on how to get around this?

Barry

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: smoothstepper losing communication
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
The first thing I would check is your SmmothStepper configuration. Configure your 'Max Step Frequency' and 'Velocity Update Frequency' to match you system. See this post for details: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13762.msg90877.html#msg90877.

Next thing to check for is noise in the system: Is the USB cable wrapped around the stepper wires, do you have a line filter on your spindle motors, etc.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »
Barry i had the same issue when i first started with the SS.

It was the USB bus i installed a USB2 device/port its been perfect ever since.

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »
I have this on a laptop currently  I think I'm going to forgo controlling via laptop, and at the same time, forgo using the SmoothStepper.  It seems like there is so much fiddling with these things, and a lot of times, it might not ever work.

Barry

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
Don't know about fiddling. I've been using them for more than a year with great results...

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »
The SS worked with my slow Dell Latitude laptop also with an old NEC laptop.
In fact that was the only way the Dell Laptop would work. 
Can't say much on the new laptops, i have a new little EEPC but the better half
 won't let me use it in the shop as it a dedicated PC for her.
RICH

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
Here's the settings I have.  Tell me if I'm completely nuts.  The running speed is 512Hz, all axis set to 256Hz and the spindle set to 32 Hz.

I've set the delay for the smoothstepper to be 3 seconds, instead of the default 2.0.  For Noise reduction, I've got it set at 70 for all parameters.

Then in Mach3, I've got the Debounce set to 700, and the noise interval set to 123.

The laptop is a XPS M1710, 3.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, XP Pro.  The only software on it are XP, Mach3, Smooth Stepper.

Can you recommend other settings to get rid of this noise?  Maybe increase certain ones, or decrease them?  There's no documentation that I've seen that says what's a crazy high number or what's recommended as starting points.  At most I've gotten the machine to run for about 15 minutes.  After that Mach3 freezes, losing connection to the smoothstepper.

Barry

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »
What are your steps/unit and max velocity for each axisd?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
I'm not in front of the machine currently.  The steps/unit are the mathematical correct number to move the axis using 5mm pitch with 10 microstep stepper motors.  I don't remember the velocity.  When it freezes/crashes, it's not moving fast at all, super slow with the spindle on.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 01:28:15 AM »
Had the same issue.  Pulled my hair out, Cussed Dell and Bill Gates for weeks...I run a DELL lap top, M3 and SS. I have 6 axis, Gecko drivers and Kelinc Steppers. Now I have fitted an auto tool changer and have all 6 axis running.   THE ISSUE IS NOISE.. ELECTRICAL NOISE... my system would also stop at RANDOM.. loosing comms, and the SS flashing light stops. THe job stops in mid stream.. nothing will get it going again.  Only a M3 re-boot will fix it and resetting M3.   THe good thing was it never took off and ploughed into anything !!!.
The fix for me was fitting 240vac filter ferrites on the power cords to the Mill and the control box, and fitting dual core ferrites to ALL 48vdc supplies ( +ve and neg sides ) to each of the drives and dual ferrites to the 12Vdc and 5Vdc lines comming from the supplies, again both +ve and -ve . Note also that I used fully screened Stepper Motor cables and carried the screen thru on a separate pin in the servo connector cable.  Note also that the power earths and screens are ALL earthed to the chassis and ALL power grounds are also connected to the chassis.. same with the 240vac power ground.
Until I fitted the ferrites as the LAST resort, I have the same issue you have.  Note that I also separated ALL the dc supplie wires from the 'data' type signals and the stepper drive outputs are separated from everything.

It now runs all day without any issues, but I still wouldn't arc up the welder whilst it's running !!! :)