Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:06:53 AM

Author Topic: DMM Technology Corp.  (Read 6336 times)

DMM Technology Corp.
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
Dear Steve.
I am new to the forum, and joined to find out some info about DMM Technology Corp.
Their products sound good and the packages are reasonably priced.
You mentioned in a post from August 2009 that you were pulling the plug on their AC servo motors.
Could you give me some info on your decision.
There still seems to be little or no info about them on forums.
Thanks
Thirsty
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:03:49 PM by Thirsty »
Re: DMM Technology Corp.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »
Hello
I am new to the forum, and joined to find out some info about DMM Technology Corp.
Their products sound good and the packages are reasonably priced.
They were mentioned in a post from August 2009 that the person was pulling the plug on their AC servo drives. {edit, my error}
There still seems to be little or no info about them on forums.
Thanks
Thirsty
OK, pulling the plug on this product. A little too far out of the mainstream, no interest, and a close read of the docs show a small fixed following error.

Next drives to be reviewed will be CNCdrives models Whale3 and Dugong.  Both were shipped to me yesterday.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »
The DMM products were good performers. My issue with their drives is that they are not resettable from a fault without powering down and restarting. This is not acceptable for a machine tool where doing so requires re homing the machine, which may or may not be possible depending on what kind of fixtures and workpiece are in place.

DMM is primarily interested in OEM produsts like printers and other single purpose machines that are designed, tested and intended to do a specific predictable operation over and over and their policy is that their drives do not need to be resettable if the machine they used on 'is properly designed'. The same is true for their AC drives, so I did not go forward with evaluating those products.

Frankly, I found this attitude to be not only condescending on its face, but indicates a complete lack of understanding of the needs and function of CNC machine tools.

So my opinion is that DMM has well engineered products for *some* applications . .  but CNC machine tools is not one of them. This comment is based upon their attitude and statements at the time of the review. They may have changed this policy in the interim, so a visit to their site and perhaps some question to their tech support would be in order for anyone contemplating using these products on a machine tools, robotics, or other 'general purpose' CNC application.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »
The DMM products were good performers.

My apologies.

I have DMM confused with Leadshine. Everything I posted applies to Leadshine only.

I did not review DMM's products. These were AC servo drives that came with controllers and a non-optical encoder. I could find no references at all to anyone using these drives and they seem far out of the mainstream. I asked for references and/or interest in several places and got no response, so I decided not to review the products.

As I recall, they come with a money back guarantee and are claimed compatible with Mach3, so anyone who wants to give them a try, have at it.