Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:05:30 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and AhHa break out board  (Read 7608 times)

Mach3 and AhHa break out board
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »
Hello everybody
I want to up grade my Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Mill control software from Machine master using an AhHa design break out board to Mach 3.

Will Mach 3 run using the AhHa break out board? Or do I need a different break out board to interface with the Mach3 software and the bridgeport mill ?

Thanks
Sean Finn

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and AhHa break out board
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
Dont know anything about AHHA stuff but if they are steppers and the drives accept Step/Dir inputs then likely all that will be needed is a breakout board, you could even connect direct I suppose but personally I prefer breakouts.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
Hood,

My recollection of AhHa is that you are correct. And as I remember, AhHa OS was written in a version of visual basic and was delivered as serial data. The 15 pin serial port was the only interface with the machine from the operating system and in that light; are the driver boards going to work? A currently available breakout board would bring the system up to the standards of control offered by the Mach OS but the driver system may not be capable....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »
Never seen one, do recall reading some info about them, whether here or on another forum I dont recall but I know John S has a machine with AHHA so he would know for sure.
Hood

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:07:04 AM »
I sold my Ahha board and fitted new drivers and breakout board as I didn't have info for the current drivers plus they were really old and single step only.
My mill was quite small though so the 10amp drivers only cost around £200 for all three + a simple breakout board.

Mine ran from a dos pc with Ahha artisan and I seem to remember it used a serial cable, I'll have to find the cable and look as it was a few years ago now.

Steve
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:13:22 PM »
I have the same issue- my cable from the computer is a 37 pin cable. Any info on your conversion yet? Where might I get new drivers to fit the ahha power supply?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
I have never seen the original AHHA breakout board, but I can tell you I have sold lots of boards to users doing the same upgrade.

Take a look at some options: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=33.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com