Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:28:26 AM

Author Topic: My mondo router project!  (Read 4327 times)

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
My mondo router project!
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »
I decided to start a thread chronicling my adventures in building a 10' x 12' x 5' - 5 axis gantry router.

Here are some Alpha Gear two stage planetary reducers I got yesterday. I have one motor mounted, two to go. They are supposed to have 10 arc minuets of total backlash but I am unable to detect any... so far. They are a 50:1 reduction.

If you have any comments or questions let me know. I have more pics if you want them...

Chad

ynneb

Re: My mondo router project!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »
Nice going Chad. What drives will you be using?

Offline chad

•  361 361
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:06:24 PM »
I have 5 Rutex R2010, and 2 R2110 breakout boards. Haven't fired any of them up yet but I am planning on building the control and power supply box this weekend.

Another pic, These are the "baby" slides for the Z, another one of the gear reducers, and one of the servos I am going to use for the c and b axis. And a 6" caliper for scale.

chad
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 09:24:40 AM »
Looks like quite a project. What is the application for this monster? What software will you be using to generate 5 axis G code?

Pete C.

Offline chad

•  361 361
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:02:01 PM »
The plan is to route in hard foam, plugs for making fiberglass molds, for body's for formula s-ssca race cars. And I personally want to make some cool furniture ;). As far as g code is concerned we have a friend who owns a pretty big cnc shop and does 5 axis work, in the beginning we will probally have him generate the g code for us. I am also planning on playing with this http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_toolkit.htm

I rally don't know anything about that package but I will give it a try  the price is right! I have a feeling that down the road we will have to bite the bullet and buy a real 5 axis cam package  :o

These are the cars that we will be building the updated body's for.

chad