Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:45:12 AM

Author Topic: USB and Mach  (Read 21722 times)

Re: USB and Mach
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
Ray are you meaning that with the new plugin it takes longer to spin up?

Hood

Hood,

Yes, exactly.  With the old ogb plug-in, the spindle spins up to 8K RPM in 2-3 seconds.  With the later plug-ins, making no other changes, it takes almost 20 seconds to reach 8K RPM, and does the same coming back down.  This is with a PWM spindle, and I've verified with an oscilloscope that it is the PWM that is ramping slowly.  Greg says I'm the only one having this problem.  Due to other problems I've been having (my SS gets flaky on cold days, and a quick shot with a heat gun gets it behaving) we suspected my board had a faulty FPGA.  But I now have three boards on-hand, and they all have the same swlo spindle ramping problem.  I'm *really* good at finding the bugs in other people's software and hardware.  It's a gift....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
KoKo i will not argue further on this as you obviously know what you are doing.

HimyKabibble when i read the blurb on Greggs site it does mention something about re calibration of spindle speed, is that it ?

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 06:55:09 PM »
I do seem to recall that the last plugin had changes to spindle accel which would require retuning, it didint seem to affect my servo spindle so I just presumed it was  VFD spindles it referred to. Then again as you have been talking to Greg I presume this is not the issue with yours as I would have thought it would have been the first thing Greg would have mentioned.  
So afraid I dont have an answer for you ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
Ray, regards your cold weather issues, have you tried a different USB cable? Could be the contacts of it are not great and in cold weather its breaking contact.
 I certainly dont have problems in the cold and believe me it has been cold here lately, down to minus 16 deg C here and even colder inland a bit, even my coolant has been freezing up LOL

Hood
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »
Ray, regards your cold weather issues, have you tried a different USB cable? Could be the contacts of it are not great and in cold weather its breaking contact.
 I certainly dont have problems in the cold and believe me it has been cold here lately, down to minus 16 deg C here and even colder inland a bit, even my coolant has been freezing up LOL

Hood
I do seem to recall that the last plugin had changes to spindle accel which would require retuning, it didint seem to affect my servo spindle so I just presumed it was  VFD spindles it referred to. Then again as you have been talking to Greg I presume this is not the issue with yours as I would have thought it would have been the first thing Greg would have mentioned. 
So afraid I dont have an answer for you ;D

Hood

Hood,

Interesting....  Greg never mentioned that, and I managed to miss it in the release notes.  I'll give that a try tomorrow if I have time.  The notes say it was running 8X too fast previously, which sounds like about what I'm seeing.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »

Hood

Mine was never a problem in the past - worked fine all through last winter.  But this year, even in relatively mild weather, the whole machine gets *really* flaky.  I eventually found hitting the SS with the heat gun would make it behave.  No amount of fiddling with cables, ports, etc. made any difference.  But, we're having a warm spell at the moment, so I have to wait for it to cool off again to do any more testing.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
Reason I thought of the bad contacts was I  remember a computer I built for a friend and was forever getting called in to take a look at it as there were problems. Of course every time I was there it was fine, next day they would call and say it was playing up again, eventually I figured out the issues as I started asking questions and it seemed it was only an issue first startup and usually in the morning. The place it was in had no heating and eventually I traced the problem to a memory stick which must have just been a few microns thinner than normal and when cold was making intermittent contact in the slot. Popped a new stick in and never a problem again, better still I have that same stick in my old computer and it doesn't have an issue even in my freezing workshop so can only assume that the slot on the other computer was also slightly loose.

Hood
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
Reason I thought of the bad contacts was I  remember a computer I built for a friend and was forever getting called in to take a look at it as there were problems. Of course every time I was there it was fine, next day they would call and say it was playing up again, eventually I figured out the issues as I started asking questions and it seemed it was only an issue first startup and usually in the morning. The place it was in had no heating and eventually I traced the problem to a memory stick which must have just been a few microns thinner than normal and when cold was making intermittent contact in the slot. Popped a new stick in and never a problem again, better still I have that same stick in my old computer and it doesn't have an issue even in my freezing workshop so can only assume that the slot on the other computer was also slightly loose.

Hood

Hood,

The wierd thing with mine is, it makes ALL the USB devices squirrelly, not just the SS.  The keyboard and mouse get flaky, and before long the whole machine locks up.  That's why it took so long to track it down to the SS.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
Do you have the SS inside or very close to the computer? Thinking maybe your heatgun is heating the mobo as well as the SS and really the problem lies in the mobo.
Hood
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
Do you have the SS inside or very close to the computer? Thinking maybe your heatgun is heating the mobo as well as the SS and really the problem lies in the mobo.
Hood

Hood,

The SS is right next to the computer, but I was careful to heat only the SS - the heat gun was directed away from the computer.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.