Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 08:11:03 AM

Author Topic: syntax differences between Mach3, NCPlot, and others  (Read 3433 times)

syntax differences between Mach3, NCPlot, and others
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
(I posted a similar question on the NC Plot forum.)

There are syntax differences between different flavors of G-code. Programs which plot correctly in NC Plot generate errors in Mach 3. Is the G-code standard poorly defined? Are there bugs in one or the other? Is there anything I can do in Mach 3 to make it accept programs which it currently chokes on? Some compilers have different error and warning levels. Could I tell Mach 3 to ignore certain errors (like incomplete comments)?

Here are examples which work in NC Plot but not in Mach 3:

1. "#110=#110+40.0"
This line is OK in NCPlot but generates an error in Mach3. In Mach 3 I have to enclose the right side with brackets "#110=[#110+40.0]"

2. "(*********x" NCPlot allows comment lines with only an opening parenthesis. Mach3 gives an error unless there is a matching closing parenthesis.

3. "[-#110]" works fine in NC plot but not in Mach3. In Mach 3 I use "[0-#110]".

4. NCPlot by default treats "10" as ".010". Mach3 treats it as "10.0". I was able to fix this one in NC Plot by changing the machine configuration.

Any ideas?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: syntax differences between Mach3, NCPlot, and others
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
When you are playing with macro language commands most g-code systems are different, # is not part of the standard, Mach3 follows the Fanuc standard.

The only way round it is search and replace.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
Re: syntax differences between Mach3, NCPlot, and others
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »
NC Plot also claims to follow the "Fanuc standard".

The Mach 3 manual mentioned the NIST NGC (EIA-274-D?) which defines "#".
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/kramer/pubs/RS274NGC_3.web/RS274NGC_33a.html

Mach3 follows this standard more strictly than NC Plot.

Search and replace is certainly one approach. A script using regular expressions could automate things.

The NC Plot folks have indicated their willingness to help.

-Erik