Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:07:11 AM

Author Topic: BRIDGEPORT SERIES II CNC MILL W/ BOSS 6 CONTROL RETROFIT  (Read 37367 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: BRIDGEPORT SERIES II CNC MILL W/ BOSS 6 CONTROL RETROFIT
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 03:11:20 AM »
Yes it has steppers on it, gearing if I recall is 2.5:1 and I get 2500mm/min (100ipm)  which was the original rapid. Having said that yours is a series 2 it will be a much heavier machine so not sure how yours would perform.
 If I was doing it again I would have AC Servos on it and I am actually considering doing that, I have just about finished doing a Beaver Mill which is about the same size as a series 2 Bridgeport and it originally had DC Servos which I swapped out for AC and what a difference compared to steppers :)

If you stayed with steppers you should  be able to do it for $1000, you would need 3 drives, a power supply and a breakout and my preference would be new steppers as well.
Steppers would likely be around $100 to 150 each, drives probably around $100 to 130 each, breakout board under $100 and building a power supply should be around $100 I would imagine.

Hood
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
What would be the advantage with a AC servo than DC servos, would you have to buy something extra or different to run that type of servo, other than BOB, servo drives, encoders.

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:06 PM »
What would be the advantage with a AC servo than DC servos, would you have to buy something extra or different to run that type of servo, other than BOB, servo drives, encoders.
AC servo do not have brushes therefore they do not require as much attention. you must have Drives that match what motors you are using. 
archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:56 PM »
Hood
      what AC drives and servo's are you looking at if you do not mind me asking
archie =) =) =) 
Facebook archies machine

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:37:48 AM »
I use Allen Bradley DSD or Giddings and Lewis  DSA drives, they are one in the same just rebadged.
 I used the Bridgeport a few days ago for the first time since I have had the Beaver up and running and I couldnt believe how slow it was, you sure get spoiled with servos ;D
 I am definitely going to put servos on the Bridgeport when I get time, I have drives/motors here that are just on the small side for the Beaver mill but will be perfect for the Bridgeport :)
Hood
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
Ok,

Yesterday, I finished building a PC to run this thing.

CPU     P4 3.2 Ghz HT
MEM    2 GB PC 4200 Kingston
HDD    40 GB SATA
GPU    256 MB NVidia 8400 GS
LCD     ELO 15 " Touchscreen (Resistive Type)
OS       XP Pro 32 bit

Today, I have just ordered a PMDX122 BOB and 3 203V's. I am going to use the original Steppers and spindle for now, just so I can play around with functions in Mach3; wiring, tuning, and moving.  While I am waiting for the parts I am currently going to start building a power supply or I might buy one if feasible, Any Suggestions?

The reason I picked the PMDX122 and 203V's is:

Most of you are using that board for the bridgeport boss and it seems to be adequete and reliable. 
The 203v's I got just because I liked the protection that was on them, I am a noob

I do have a Question though as far as some of you are using the smoothestepper with the PMDX122, what is the advantage I am confused. Some say they could not get it to work with their system and some say it works great.  Why do some incoporate it?

Thanks Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
The SmoothSteppers big advantage is that it does the pulsing so the computer doesnt have to, it makes for a nice clean pulse. On my Bridgeport I never really noticed any difference in what I could get but the motors do sound nicer.
I also use the SS on my other machines and the big advantage with them is they have the servos with 8000 pulses per rev on the encoders so the parallel port just cant pulse fast enough to get any decent rapids.

Think the biggest problem with the SS is it shows up any noise issues you have in your wiring where as the parallel port is more tolerant, personally I have never had any noise issues on any of my machines when using the SS.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »
Hello,

Could this all be powered by a  PMDX-135-8020 power supply and a  Hammond Manufacturing

Transformer, Toroidal Power; 1000VA; Chassis; Pri:117/234VAC; Sec:Ser 48VCT, Par 24V 

The PMDX-135 is a power preparation module for use with CNC motor drivers

Offered in 80 volt and 50 volt versions
Supplies up to 20 Amperes of filtered, unregulated DC when connected to a suitable input transformer
Includes electronic load "DUMP" to help prevent overvoltage when motors produce "back EMF" during rapid deceleration
Provides rapid power off discharge of storage capacitors (under 5 seconds) for additional user safety
Utilizes multiple filter capacitors in order to better handle ripple current heating effects
Utilizes heavy duty bridge rectifier mounted to a large heatsink
Indicators furnished for "DC Output ON" and back EMF "DUMP"
Ideal power source for our PMDX-132 Breakout/Motherboard Combo for Geckodrive stepper motor drivers
Can be used to power all models of Geckodrive stepper and servo motor drivers and also drivers from many other vendors
Has enough power capability to run 4 Geckodrive stepper motor drivers at full power

As far as a power supply and a transformer I have no idea how to design one and i'd rather and feel safer if i bought something that would work than fry something or myself. 

Let me know what you huys think when you have time, thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
Bob Campbell has a nice PDF on building a power supply, have a look here http://campbelldesigns.net/files/power-supply-part-1.pdf
It will let you see how to calculate the required power and capacitance.
Hood
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

I just read this conversation and thought I would chime in.

I completed a BP Boss6 retro a few months ago and all has been running great.

I used the following:

3- Gecko G212
1- Hillbilly's BOB
1-KL-7220 20amp 72V power supply (from Keling inc)
1-Smooth Stepper
1-ELO Touchscreen

I kept the original steppers and when possible the existing wires. I added some relays to allow mach to turn the spindle on/off and switch directions. I'm also controlling the coolant through mach.

I am getting 100ipm currently. I ran it at 120ipm for awhile but wasn't really comfortable at that speed.

I had originally used the original BP power supply but I could only get about 45ipm out of it and even then I would lose some pulses every now and then.

It's a great machine now. Wish I had another one!