Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:12:58 PM

Author Topic: Milling Stop  (Read 8788 times)

Milling Stop
« on: January 10, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
Hello All,

Here is my Saturday project. I saw a picture on line and had to have one. It is incredibly ridged. Each component was fairly simple to make. I started with the main structure, ( drawing this part was a little time consuming) it's made of (.750) - 6061 aluminum. Next I made the swivel blocks out of (1.0) round stock. I drilled the through hole (.191), and turned each to (.750 OD). I added about (.750) extra material length to hold onto in the vise. Then I programmed the (.750) arc cut out. The top swivel clamp was machined from (.500) - 6061. I cheated on the slit. After the part was machined and drilled, I clamped it into the vise and cut it on my band saw. The two pins were turned from (.500) CRS, one was drilled through (.159) and tapped for 10-32, and the other was drilled through (.191) and c-bored (.250 ID). I turned one of the 10-32 SCS heads down to (.240 OD) and shortened the head length to (.185). The stop rod was a shaft I salvaged from a copier machine.

This was a very good project to break my new Taig mill in with, and I now have a good quality accessory for it.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ken Polley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:45:58 AM by Overloaded »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Milling Stop
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
Ken,
Good project. I have one made by Royal called ESSET, don't use it too much but can come in handy when needed.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
Very nice indeed Ken,
  A very rewarding and useful project as well.
Now that you've got that fixture set-up....on to some other interesting projects.
And don't forget to post more pics !
Great job,
Russ

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
I wouldn't call using the band saw "cheating". It works and it's a lot faster for a one off than writing a program and setting up the machine.

Nice work.

Monty

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »
Ken,

A very nice looking gadget. It came out beautiful and looks very useful.

Thanks for showing.

Daniel
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, Rich, Russ, Monty, and Daniel.

Ever notice sometimes it seems as if you make more projects for the machine then for you?  Can't tell you how many time I've been in the middle of a project and needed to stop to make or improve a tool or fixture. By the way, can any one point me in the right direction on how to properly post projects here and..... fix a post if I needed to? My teenager change the setting on my camera prior to the photos I took, so the photos are to large for comfortable viewing.

Thanks again,

Ken

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:28 PM »
Most photo editing software has the capability of resizing pictures. "Paint" that comes with windows will do this. Always save to JPEG (jpg), and select a quality of 90 or lower, as this will lower the file size dramatically. (be kind to us dial up users please) Your teenager was most likely setting your camera up to take quality photo's, and this is normally a good thing to do. If your taking photo's of the family or whatever, you would probably want them in the best quality possible. It's just not ideal for sharing on the web. I don't want it to sound like I'm taking up for your teenager, but......I'm taking up for your teenager on this one :)
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »
Good tip Sam, here is another way I stumble onto by pokin' around.
Open the file with Microsoft Office Picture manager and edit to 600 x 800 and save as whatever.
Or, ScreenHunter is free, fast and is usually a good pic and very small file size.
We must be the last ones on dial-up Sam.
Worst thin I hate about big pics is if there are three or 4 in a post, you have to scroll down to the bottom to use the slider to pan the pic left/right....then back up tog look at the top pic....then back again...hideous. And if you accidentally click on the pic before it comes in completely..you have to start over.....DANG, I hate that. Maybe get DSL soon.....I hope.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
Sam,
I agree that you should try and take pictures in the highest quality you can. I usually do that and then re-size them for internet use. I just started lowering the picture size in the camera so I didn't have to worry about resizing.  Forgot to check! Actually, what I was asking is how can I change the picture size in the post?  I hate having to scroll down to move the slider bar myself.

Ken

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »
Maybe get DSL soon.....I hope.
I've been saying that for many years. As the phone tech said..."in this economy, we ain't expanding s**t!"

mrmodfi: there is no way to resize, other than resizing before you upload them. Also, there is no way to view pictures in any other size, than what they are uploaded as. Basically, the uploader has control of how people view their pic.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."