Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:32:47 PM

Author Topic: Index and/or timing on >config>ports and pins>input tab  (Read 8711 times)

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
Index and/or timing on >config>ports and pins>input tab
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »
Can't get proper true spindle reading,,, the DRO shows chaotic numbers

Situation:
Optical sensor (reflection type), two slots, wide enough

On input signals: Should I use index and timing????
Do they use the same pin?

On outputsignals: should i use Enable 1, or Output 1??????

I think this causes other problems like not being able to set the control ratio from the pulleys (the seem to live a life of there own).
Have been messing around for days and days now,,, I'm missing the basic vision behind this.
And without a good true spindle reading its not possible to do threading.

On all the other functions Mach is really fantastic and works great.

gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Index and/or timing on >config>ports and pins>input tab
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »
I am not 100% sure but I think the Timing was done away with in later revisions of Mach due to the threading changes. It may be just for using whilst threading  though so take that with a pinch of salt.

I am not sure what you mean by
Optical sensor (reflection type), two slots, wide enough
as if using multiple slots there is meant to be one that is wider than the rest. Best thing to do is just have one slot and set it up as the Index input and it should be fine.

I have never set up a spindle with VFD (I use servos) but I would think the control ratio would be set on the Spindle Pulleys page (from Config menu) and that box you have shown above will just be to inform you what the ratio is rather than setting it.
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »
Ah Hood, nice of you to react, and so quickly again.

The optical sensor is one that sends light that reflects on a surface and than receives it again.

The settings done on the Spindle Pulleys page aren't remembered by the Calibrate Spindle page.
I don't know why.

I'm busy reading the 73 pages on the topic "Problems threading on the lathe", and tried to figure out if this can help me,, but,,, no success at this moment (page 37).

So I use the Index input,, but I do not use it as an index, more like a timer, I thought. And should it be on Emulated?
And which output should I choose? Enable 1, or 2 or 3? Or should I use Output 1 or 2,,,,,?

If I stop the spindle, the S true DRO still gives a number like 127, or 378.
Can't figure out how mach can see 378 revolutions when there is no signal from the optical sensor.
And as long as this is not oke, threading can't be done, I think.

gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
Ok first make sure you just have one reflective strip or one black part if the rest is reflective.
Next set that input up as the Index input, dont need emulated chosen as that is just for testing purposes so you can set a keyboard key up to emulate it.
You should then have good readings for your RPM, if you dont what Rev of Mach are you using?
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
I'm using mach 3.042.033, but is just saw a later version on the Artsoft site.
Tomorrow morning i will configure it the way you explained.
thanks
jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
There have been a lot of issues lately with the most recent versions of Mach driver and some computers, most work fine but some dont. 035 is the best to try and if that doesnt help try going back to before 030 and see if that helps.
Art is working on trying to solve things for these problem computers so there may well be new updates in the following days/weeks so keep an eye out if you are still having problems.
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »
Hood,
It seems that the modern CPU's have variable frequenties (read it on the forum), that causes a lot of problems.
Perhaps this can be locked down on the motherboard-settings of my lathe computer, which has one of the latest CPU's.

gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
Could well be the problem but I am sure Art will get the driver sorted out :)
 But give it a go anyway and see how you get on, your computer may be one of the ones its ok with.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
All of the 73 pages of info from that posting are rather summarised in the Threading on The Lathe writeup in Members Docs.

Timing is currently no longer functional. You only use index with single index slot,so disable the timing. The turn diagnostics is now outdated as of Rev 32 and 33. Do not enable the plug in until its fixed in the future. And don't use some of the other experimental plug ins you will find posted. Timing for threading  is based on readng spindle rpm and
although haven't even tried 034 or 035, don't think the threading plug was fixed . Go to the last two or three pages of the Problems Threading on the Lathe thread as there may be info relative to you.

RICH

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »
When in manual mode, you give a S-DRO of 200, the spindle must turn at about this speed???
Seems a stupid question, but I can not get the spindle on another then maximum speed.
I think I'm the one who makes a stupid fault, but Ive been searching for it and cannot find it.

gr jaja