Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:52:42 AM

Author Topic: Correct orentation for X and Y  (Read 13216 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Correct orentation for X and Y
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
I am confused once more.  I have been under the impression that X and Y are in relation to your standing at the Front left corner of the machine and left to right is X and front to rear is Y.  Since my table is not square it's 24 x 48 it is a bit important but I am seeing in areas conflicting information not here but other places.  Am I correct that 0-0 is left front corner of the machine and is the X axis right to left?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Correct orentation for X and Y
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »
Yes but it is the tool that should be front left, so when the tool is over that part of the table it is X0 Y0 in machine coordinates. If you have a gantry router then things are easy to see but if you have a knee mill or similar then it can be confusing as the table moves the opposite way than you would think.
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
Thank you again, that helps yes I have a gantry router but it's still confusing when you get differing opinions.  AutoCad always has 0-0 in the lower left, Mach3 has 0-0 in the lower left so I thought that was right but had to ask.  0-0 for my tool is always in the front left corner of the machine so when I draw or place an item on the table is drawn upright and cut the same way otherwise you are drawing on the side if that makes sense.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:35 AM »
There is nothing stopping you swapping out the motor pins to swap X and Y axis around so that the X is the longest but it may get confusing due to the position you stand at, so might be best just to leave it that way.
Also remember I am talking about Machine Coordinates, you can and will use work offsets, the normal one is G54 and which is normally what you are seeing in the DROs so you could set the work offset to be zero in the centre of your table and have both positive and negative coordinates for X and Y.
 Hope I am not confusing the matter LOL, it sometimes takes a while to get your head around these things, especially if you are fairly new to CNC.

Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »
Not at all you have been a great help.  I do understand and that is why I use the front left corner since Cad programs use it Mach3 uses it so everything even the keyboard in front of the router is correct right arrow move to the Right left to left on the X axis and the up and down arrow moves front to rear.  I was hoping I had not planted incorrect information in my head that would be hard to change or keep straight.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »
:)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »
I am confused once more.  I have been under the impression that X and Y are in relation to your standing at the Front left corner of the machine and left to right is X and front to rear is Y.

What you're doing is correct, and I don't mean to confuse you, but which is the front, and which is the side? :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
It's all relative to the operators position...isn't it ?

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
For me the gantry is across the width and the front is with the Gantry to 0 in the left front corner.  My router is 24 x 48 so it's important I layout the parts correctly or I may not be able to cut them for example a piece 26 c 12 if in AutoCad I lay that part out with x running to the left and right and y vertical which is the way the cad screen is laid out then when I bring that part into Mach3 it's not going to fit under my gantry I have to draw or rotate the part 90 degrees.  to me the narrow dimension is X and the long dimension is Y

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »
For a gantry router, I consider the front of the machine to be facing the gantry. However, I stand and operate the machine from the "side", with the gantry running left to right along the X axis.

Your saying the X and Y axis are relative to the operator position. I'm not talking about that, I was just asking what you call the front and side.

In the link, I consider the red button to be on the front.
http://moi3d.com/gallery/images/wdx1.jpg
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html