Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:58:39 AM

Author Topic: L commands  (Read 6050 times)

L commands
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:19:46 AM »
hey.
another easy one I hope.
Im doing some program writing and when I use L commands the controller just ignores them. I cant seem to see what the problem could be. Only thing I can think of is that maybe you cant use L words until you unlock the software by buying the license. ( will be doing that anyway, just tinkering for now though.)
any help would be apreciated.
chris   :)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: L commands
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
Where are you trying to use the 'L' command,

M98 P1000 L10 should work.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:30:41 PM »
yep thats the format im using and when I run the program I simply get one execution of my subprogram. Its the problems when you know everything is correct that annoy the most. will post if I figure it out.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:31:42 PM »
hmm the plot thickens.
so Ive made progress. the control is not ignoring the L words in the program. but what it is doing is when I load a program from the editor its cutting off the M99 command at the end so that its not returning from the sub program so that it may be repeated. no matter how many times I re add the m99 in the editor, when I switch back to the program run screen the m99 is missing from the control screen. unless of coarse I include it in a line with other words.?? so basicly if I let it tag along on a line with other important code, it stays, but if I give it its own line, It disapears. all i have to say is, man thats wierd. ::)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:41:18 AM »
it sound as if you don't have a carriage return on the last line of command

Graham.

e.g.
z1. CR
g28 z0 CR
m99

Make sure its like this

z1. CR
g28 z0 CR
m99 CR
CR
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:49:54 AM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:33:06 AM »
aha.
that was it. I guess Im still pretty new to this. but Nothing Ive ever read so far has mentioned this. what is a CR and what is its function.
do I need to use it on every line like in your example or just at the end of the program? thanks for the help. I never would have figured that one out.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:34:33 PM »
The Cr is also know as a line terminator. Without it the program does not know you have reached the end of your line, so it is waiting for more input. Every line must end in a line terminator.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »
CR Key = Newline Key = Enter Key. It is the large  key on the right hand side of the main part of the keyboard on a PC, usually has a return left pointing arrow on it. When you code for a subroutine make sure the last line is a CR. It will not show up on a printout but if it is not there the program will not return from the subroutine!

Ian Ralston
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 07:36:04 AM »
ok ok I get it. I should have just pressed return at the end of the program for the final line. It makes sense now. at first I thought you guys were talking about adding a special command but now I see that CR is just tech talk for hitting the enter key at the end of each line. lesson taken and noted.
I guesss its the little things that matter in this.
thanks again. Im sure Ill have another easy question soon. ;)
chris
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 07:37:44 AM »
excuse me, The "Enter Key" Im a mac user at heart. part of my problem I guess. ::)