Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:45:07 PM

Author Topic: Engraving at an angle  (Read 5198 times)

Engraving at an angle
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
Using Mach 3 on win. XP 2000 P4 2.0G sets up OK with ruler on the X & Y but when in a known good Gcode programme slants at 20 degs. Htkeys seem reasonable on the stepper movement but when in the programme sounds noisy on the Y . Steppers have been changed around and drivers but still the same. Using Arc Eurotrade steppers and driver boards all opto isolated. We have changed most  only the control board to go and any suggestions on the computer ?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Engraving at an angle
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
Lower your Y velocity in motor tuning. Also, if using screws, try lubricating them.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »
Thanks Gerry have already tried that Y free as a bird.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
Are you using small dia screws, I have had it that they resonate at certain speeds.

Graham

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:02:25 PM »
Thks for reply Graham, using 16mm x 4mm pitch   screws, no not resonate, have made adjustable nuts for square thread so can take out any play that may be there. It seems like when in the programme does not like it the slower turning.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
Today tried another computer which we know is O.K. on another system, but gave same result letters at an Angle.
So tried smaller steps the angle straightened out but the whole system much to slow, slow as a snail, now we have a kernel warning. DECIDED TO AWAIT FOR ANOTHER CONTROL BOARD to try.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Fitted another manufactures control board. You can brobley guess what, exactly the same.
       So lets define the problem when engraving from A TO B  goes  off at angle also the Z alters in height.  This is quite repeatable. So now we have tried 3 computers ,2 control boards all give similar results. The steppers even on the XYZ buttons seem a little rough.   I am not a computer expert but know a man who is so lets call him the Wizard who brought along a labtop PC with a USB output and control board.  SURPRIZE, SURPRIZE on connecting up the steppers sang like a bird cycling through the programme and completely overcame my problems. One instantly new they were working correctly, so not to jump to conclusions YET.  We need to reconnect my drives and eventally configure USB on the main computer. Please be patient the final solution is near.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
               SUCCESS, SUCCESS. What a fault to find but my Wizard friend found the problem. After trying two parallel control boards & smooth stepper all gave similar results engraving to the right and Z going down slightly over approx. 100mm.  To check for faults  steppers were changed over, drivers changed over, still the same fault. Changing over to USB enabled more flexibility with computers but the real fault was with the three steppers drivers ( All three faulty ) . Replacing a complete set curred all problems. Mach3 now controls perfectly. Sings like a bird through the programme. Now for me its real learning time being able to drive the machine programmes.
                                 Hollydog