Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:08:56 AM

Author Topic: Y-axis confusion  (Read 7825 times)

Y-axis confusion
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:55:13 PM »
Ok, I completed installing a CNCFusion kit on my MicroMark (X2) mill. That all went smoothly, electronics working, etc. Then I started configuring Mach3. Worked through the videos (which were great!) and the docs. I do not have home or limit switches on my mill at this time. But, I put machine zero with the X table all the way right, Y table all the way forward, and Z at top.

soft Max    Soft Min
X 8.50"        0"
Y 3.90"        0"
Z  -8.40"      0'

This all makes sense to me. When I jog, everything moves in the correct directions and I understand the movement. Now for the problem:

I created a little G code to draw a rectangle with a pencil chucked in the mill.

G00 X2
G00 Y1
G00 X0
G00 Y0

I then set the wok coordinates to the middle of my table and set X=Y=Z=0 (pencil touching the paper). When I run the code the table moves towards the + direction (the same direction that the -> arrow key makes it move) for 2". Then, the Y moves. It moves in the direction the ^ up arrow key moves it. But, on the Tool Table display on the Program Run screen, the Y moves up on the display - which is the opposite of what the Y is actually doing. So, I end up with a figure that is flipped in the Y direction.

I've messed with reversing the Y, etc but can't figure this out.

thanks in advance,
Michael

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Y-axis confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
The Y should go up in the display, think of what the tool is doing rather than the table.
X + is table moving right to left but tool moves left to right in relation to the work
Y+ Is table moving  back to front but tool moves front to back in relation to the work

Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:21:17 PM »
I still don't get it. My X+ is table moving right to left (as you say) but Y+ is table moving front to back so tool is moving back to front - that is where the "problem" seems to be. The Mach3 display makes sense for X movements but is backwards for Y movements. At the end of the day, the object being cut is a mirror image on Y. That can't be right.

cheers,
Michael

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »
OK if I am seeing it right, the display is showing the toolpath go towards the right from X0 to X2, then it heads from Y0 to Y1 and you are seeing it move up the screen, is that what you are seeing? If so then that is correct and you need to reverse your Y axis in Homing and Limits, you have it the wrong way.
Think of the tool in relation to a piece of graph paper fixed to your table, X0Y0 is lower left so table fully right and fully away from you would put the tool over the lower left corner of the paper. Move the table left and the X would increase, move the table towards you and the Y would increase.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »
Yes, X0 to X2 I see the display move from left to right. That makes sense and seems correct to me. Y0 to Y1 actually moves the table from front to back - again moving in the + direction. The table movement makes sense to me. But, the display moves upwards as you state.

The CNCFusion kit I installed on my mill has Y0 with the table moved all the way to the front so + movement moves the table towards the column. I understand your graph paper analogy. But wouldn't putting Y0 back (table back to column) would make a positive movement towards the front and that opposite of how the CNCFusion direction arrows are labeled (engraved) on the Y bearing block. Not that its a big deal but it would seem that there should be a configuration that would allow Y to be all the way forward at 0?

cheers,
Michael

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
You need to think of the tool, not the table. If you think of the tool it is moving exactly as the screen is in relation to your graph paper.
The engraving on the bearing blocks relate to the tool direction not the table movement.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 05:59:54 PM »
But that's the thing, it isn't! The tool is going in the opposite direction on the Y axis (opposite to the display but correct in actual movement to the +)

Michael

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
Ok I am confused now, lets go back to the graph paper fixed to the table. Table fully right and fully towards the column puts the tool over the lower left corner, ie X0 Y0, are we agreed on that?

Now you move the table to the left which in effect moves the tool to the right on the paper so it is a positive movement in the X axis.
We now move the table towards us, that makes the tool move up the graph paper in a positive direction so Y is moving positive.

Is that all as you are seeing?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:55 PM »
If you put a pen in the spindle and a piece of paper on the table and do your square see if it makes sense to you the way it is getting drawn.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Ok, I am sitting in front of the mill now.

With the table fully right and back, yes, the tool is over the lower left corner.

Yes on the X movement. Table left, tool right (+ direction).

Move the table forward, tool moves up the graph paper. But the display in Mach has the tool moving down.

Also the right arrow causes the tool to move right (towards +) as I think it should. But using the up arrow causes the table to move towards the column, so tool down.