Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:06:31 AM

Author Topic: Newby Needs Knowledge!!  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Chaps

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Newby Needs Knowledge!!
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:55:58 AM »
Help!!  I am a Newby to both CNC and Mach 3.  I'm sure this is a simple task but I do not know how to construct it.
I want to cut a dovetail in a piece of aluminum:
     Z-axis to remain a constant depth
     Y-axis 0 at the center of the dovetail
     X-axis to traverse the dovetail opening then
     Increment Y-axis and reverse X-axis travel then
     Decrement Y-axis and repeat X-axis pass
I want to continue this pattern until I have cut both sides of the Dovetail to the necessary width.  Is there an easy method for generating this G-code pattern??? :-[

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Newby Needs Knowledge!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »
The wizards that come with Mach3 should do just what you want. A few that come to mind are the "Keyway" ,"Pocket Cutting" and "Rectangular Pocket. You will have to experiment with them and see if they do indeed cut exactly the way you want, but I'm sure that at least one of them will work just fine.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Chaps

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:45:47 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I'll check this out tomorrow.

Offline Chaps

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »
Thanks Sam:

I cannot get the Wizards to work properly.  I licensed LazyCam but have not licensed Mach3 yet.  Maybe the problem???  I did figure out, using your suggestion for "pocket cutting" and looked at code from Lazy Cam.  It took me a good while but I hand coded what I wanted Mach3 to do.  It actually worked!!!!!  I will look into the Wizards/Mach3 license issue.  Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
If you're trying to use the Newfangled wizards, they'll require an additional license in addition to the Mach3 license. All the other wizards should work in Mach3 demo mode, though.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Chaps

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
Thank you, Gerry:

I'm not sure what Newfangled wizards are but I did figure out that in order to enter values in the fields I had to use the 'ENTER' key ;D.  I need to find an introductory text to CNC and to Gcode.  Do you ever tire from dealing with illiterate use ???r??????

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
I did figure out that in order to enter values in the fields I had to use the 'ENTER' key
You and 99.9% of the rest of us.  ;D That enter key still catches me off guard all the time!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
mach3 and students
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »
Would you say that mach3  would be a good investment and simulator for a student to practice and verify his gcodes ?  And a refreshment on codes for personnel awaiting for a job posting?  If so, I intend to use mach3 as a virtual machine to test and update my knowledge time to time.

Everytime i try out entering tool offsets, (ex: entering first tool # then when i try entering tool diameter, the first returns to zero value ???)

Offline Chaps

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
I just learning.  I have no expertise on Mach3.  It currently is doing everything that I am using it for.