Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:48:28 PM

Author Topic: Crop Circles.... But Not Everywhere....  (Read 4804 times)

Crop Circles.... But Not Everywhere....
« on: December 26, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
I'm mystified.  I've got a small file to cut some small parts with my CNC router.  I started with a .DXF drawing that I found on the web, and imported it into Vectric Cut2D.
Everything looks as it should in Cut2D..... and I can save the cutting file with the Mach3 Arcs/Inch Post Processor without a problem.

On my laptop, the cutting file imports into Mach3 Mill just fine... and I can scroll through the G Code to follow the little white dot around the cutting path.

BUT... when I import the exact same cutting file in Mach3 Mill on my actual workshop/cutting machine... I get a whole bunch of concentric "crop circles"... with a center that looks to be at about -10" X and -10" Y.

What setting in Mach3 (on my cutting machine) got hosed up to cause this?  I recently installed the Blue mill screen set (with centering and Z axis setting scripts, etc.) on both machines.....

What do I do now?

Thanks... and Happy Holidays!

-Taylor

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Crop Circles.... But Not Everywhere....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
General Config page, change the IJ mode.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
Hood,

Thanks for the BLAZING FAST reply.  I tried monkeying with that setting on my laptop, and am able to duplicate the crop circles, so I'm pretty sure that will solve the problem when I get back out to the shop to attempt the actual cutting again. (Can't go right now... as my absence will upset the cook... so close to dinner time!)

Thanks for the help!

-Taylor

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »
Really it should be the Job of the code to dictate which mode it is in as the setting on General Config can be over ridden by code. Although it will default to the General config page setting on a restart it is still best to use G90.1 or G91.1 in the code.

Hood

Edit
 just checked and its actually not persistent, seems to default to the general Config setting if no mode is in the code, so just ignore that crap above ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:48:06 PM by Hood »
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
Thanks...... Before posting my question here, I did a search, and saw a reference to putting in that G90.1 or G91.1

I tried editing the code by putting in an "N10G91.1" at the very beginning of the code string... but when I did that... NOTHING showed up in the graphic preview window for the part......  What did I mess up by attempting this?

Thanks for the help.  After dinner last night, I went out to the shop and successfully cut my parts.....

-Taylor

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »
Vectric's post's for the newer Aspire and V-Carve Pro have the G91.1 in them.

Did you "regen toolpath" after making the change?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
Yes..... I tried Regenerating the Toolpath, closing the GCode and re-importing it, etc...... All I could get was a black screen in the preview window.....

Now that I know about the setting for the I & J interpretation, it's a non-issue... until I mess something else up.   >:D

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »
AT least your using a mill. Not to confise but there are four combinations that will create them on the lathe.
Should you ever venture there take a look at the ARC Motion wirte up in Members Docs.
RICH