Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:52:53 AM

Author Topic: ModIO Yaskawa Pendant Project.  (Read 32044 times)

ModIO Yaskawa Pendant Project.
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:28:54 AM »
Many moons ago, 3 or 4 years back one of the members on the Master5 group (told you it was a while back) offered for sale a Yaskawa CNC Pendant. These appeared to be new and were offered at US$50.00.  Not a bad buy for a US$3000.00 pendant. I'm not sure how many were on offer but I was lucky enough to snag one.

The Pendants contains;
  • 100 ppr MPG
  • 4 x 20 Character LCD
  • 16 position Spindle Speed override switch
  • 20 position Feed override switch
  • Selector switch for 5 Axis
  • +/- jog buttons for each axis
  • The usual array of Keys for various CNC functions
  • All key have integral LEDs to indicate status

The pendant contains a controller board to communicate with the CNC controller via a proprietary protocol. Not very Mach3 friendly.  >:(
So, the plan was to replace the controller with a ModIO based one. Apart from making the pendant operational and useful. it will serve as a test bed for the development of the Homann Designs Pendants.

Below is a photo of the old and new ModIO pendant controller. As you can see the form factor is identical.

Below is a photo of the Pendant with the new ModIO controller inserted. I am very pleased with the fit. :)

The software is comming along quite well. It's heavily based on the ModIO functionality. I am having a problem with the Key matrix scanning module. Its picking up multiple columns on particular keypress. I'm starting to suspect it's a problem with the Pendant itself. Maybe it's the reason they were sold off cheaply. I need to break out the oscilloscope to track it down.

The pendant can communicate with Mach3 via Modbus, either RS232 or RS485. I'll most probably RS485 as I'll also be using a ModIO for my lathe toolchanger. As the Pendant runs off 24Vdc I'll need to make a purpose built breakout board. It will have a RS485 to RS232 converter on it.

If you look at the photo of the ModIO pendant controller, you'll notice that the board is Ver:1.0 and there are a few on board mods.

I know that there are others who also bought one of these pendants and if anyone is interested in upgrading their Yaskawa pendant with the ModIO Pendant controller, let me know. Sooner, than lather.  ;)

I'll post more as the conversion continues.

Cheers,

Peter.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 05:22:14 AM by ynneb »
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
Re: ModIO Yaskawa Pendant Project.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:52:28 PM »
I have one.

Regards,
Jeff :-)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:40:40 PM »
Hi Jeff,

For whaterver reason I had assumed you had one. Not sure why though. Anyway, once I get the project finished, I'll get a set of boards made for those that are interested.

Cheers,

Peter.
Homann Designs

Amnz

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 04:52:02 AM »
Hi Peter,
   Back then I got one of these pendants too.  I've taken it out a couple of times to maybe salvage components from it but so far have left it intact while pursuing other things.
  I'll be watching here for any progress you make making full use of the pendant a possibility.

Thanks much!

John (Bloy)...jmnotions
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:10:16 AM »
Hi John,

Keep it intact for a little longer. I should have the board ready in a month or too. The controller should allow all the pendant functionality to be used.

Cheers,

Peter.
Homann Designs

Amnz

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 12:38:14 AM »
Hi Peter,

I'm still here!.   Was up on the roof tearing off TWO(2) layers of old shingles. ...and of course replacement.

...just checking in to see if you have had any time to further this project along.  I was looking for something else, but found and pulled out the pendant again...

Happy Holidays!  To you and to ALL in the threads I didn't post in ..YET!

John (Bloy)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 03:32:06 AM »
Hi John,

I'm still here too.  ;)

I've been very busy lately, but still working on it. I'll report back in the new year.

I should have a few new goodies for release soon.

Have a great festive season as well.

Cheers,

Peter.
Homann Designs
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
Peter,

Did you ever finish the project with the Yaskawa pendant?  I actually started down this path myself and got side tracked so many times it never happened.  I had my design and had completely reverse engineered the original boards and built schematic and a virus wiped out my entire hard disk.  That put the project way on the back burner. ha ha

Anyway I have followed the modbus discussion for years and was in the process of building another pendant when I ran across this very old posting.

Love how stuff on the forums lasts forever.  :)

Russ
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
Does anyone by any chance have one of the original Yaskawa pendants for this project as pictured above?? I think I just fried mine (I am getting 24 volts in and nothing lights up) and am in dire need of one, or at least the main board inside. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:08:30 AM »
Iaknown,

You most likely blew the small fuse inside the pendant.  Open it up and you will find the fuse in a replaceable fuse holder.  If that fuse is good then you blew the MAX831CWE voltage regulator.  This is a 16-pin surface mount device.  You can actually changes these yourself if you have soldering skills.  The problem is the MAX831 chip has been discontinued so you will have to look for a pin for pin compatible replacement if you determine the fuse is good.  My guess is you blew the fuse.  :)    Hope this helps.

Russ
 ;D