Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:01:53 PM

Author Topic: Machine gone stupid...  (Read 3697 times)

Machine gone stupid...
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »
I have a Mikini 1610L run on Mach3.  I've used it to produce some trail markers in the not so distant past and it worked beautifully (as far as my inexperience can tell).  I just fired it up to tinker with some new ideas and this is what happened;  The computer bobbled a few times while attempting boot and/or  got hung up just after to the point I needed to unplug its power cord and reboot.  The issue I have now is that my Z axis (mostly) gets lost.  A simple G0 Z1 will result in a Z of 0.857 (usually).  G0 Z0 does not usually bring it back to zero either... usually 0.14xx or such.  It also tends to over run when lowering.  I have a nice bit of bronze with several stab wounds and snapped bits.

Now,  is this likely the computer in its death throws or is Mach hung over from the Christmas party?  I'm close to introducing the computer to my M14  ;D

Thanks for any insight!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Machine gone stupid...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »
Sounds like computer may be the problem but what do the DROs say when you command a move, are they as commanded and the measurement wrong  or are they showing the same as the measurement and not what was commanded?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »
The DRO is 'usually' showing the actual movement.  The machine operates fine in manual mode with its pendant.  I've also lost Z axis control via the keyboard (page up/down).

I've found that if I command a Z1 and it only moves a portion of that command,  another command such as X2 will result in the Z moving more... but not always completing its journey.  It will do this even with the machine off line. 

I've re-downloaded Mach and have the same symptoms.  It might be time to plug the computer into a 440v line and toss it into a bucket of salt water.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
Check you do not have the velocity set to more thanthe kernel you have will allow.
Otherwise your saltwater and 440v sounds like it might work ;D
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
I'll tinker with the motor tuning tomorrow but, is there a 'magic' kernel/velocity combo?  Is there a recommended kernel for a specific computer?  This was working nicely with Mikini's supplied configuration.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »
What I am meaning is if for some reason the motors are tuned faster than the kernel will allow you often get issues. Normally this cant be done as Mach will not allow you to set the velocity faster than the kernel, that is selected, will allow. I have had this in simulations though as I use the SmoothStepper and have often brought my xml home for testing purposes and because I don't have a SS here (or didn't at the time) just set the xml to use the parallel port. If I recall I usually got a warning when first starting Mach and pressing the Reset that the motors were tuned too fast for the kernel.

Hood

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:11:03 AM »
It seems the z axis decided it needed 25400 steps per revolution.  I returned it back to 1000 and it appears to be happy.