Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:10:06 AM

Author Topic: How can a CNC machine save time?  (Read 8195 times)

How can a CNC machine save time?
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
I invariably watch this machine work....The intent is to set up the machine to run a part while on lathe making associated parts but the lathe will shut down and attention goes back to the 'Mach Mill' running.... The machine is mesmerizing and (knock on wood) so reliable. I have run the machine all night long on some parts, but of course didn't watch all of that time....and on checking; the part is done and the machine is shut down ready for more. I like this mill! Just wish it were a little larger. Maybe the next one....

(light chit chat)

Thanks,
Bill C.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: How can a CNC machine save time?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:15:44 AM »
? Did I miss something here?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
Depends on what your doing and the capability of the machine.
I do mostly one of a  kind of milling and turning.
For some things i can do them faster manualy ( by the time i draw it, create the code i can have it done manualy, but it's realy simple stuff ). Sometimes it's only foolish thinking.

You get into any profile cutting, make more than one part or a complex part...CNC is the way to go.

The wizards also provide for single tasks and CNC use.  

Just hand code a turn profile, or a pocket once and you will see the benefits.

Most importantly, you can screw up a part in a repeatable fashion.  ;)

A good analogy is having a digital readout, you wonder how you ever did things without it!  ;D

RICH
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:21:48 AM by RICH »
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:01:58 PM »
Yes, one of a kind - and not intended to make a living at selling! And that's a good thing for the reasons you bring up - the time involved. Yes too; the parts are drawn, converted, and machined on the NC machine because of the complexity. These parts would be darn near impossible to conventionally machine....And I watch!

Yea, the Sargon DRO on my lathe would be hard to live without and a conventional mill without a DRO would seem a real handicap now....

Bill C.

Fastest1  - No, you didn't miss anything because this was only a bit of chit chat about CNC machining as a hobby...... and watching it go, that's all...
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »
On a similar note:

We gave our daughter a Romba - you know - one of those cute little automatic sort of robotic room sweepers that were all over the tv screens several years ago.  Anyway, she called to say she loved it, that it did a good job, but that it did not save her any time when cleaning the house.  She went on to explain that watching the little rodent clean was entertaining and instead of turning it lose and going on to  other pursuits, she turned it on and sat down to watch it.  Said she wasted a lot of time like that!

I have had similar experiences when working with my small Taig cnc mill.  It is fun to watch and listen to as it goes about its programmed chores.  Before I got comfortable with the machine I would watch it for hours.  It is, after all, small and slow.  But in the Taigs defense, it will cut parts that would be next to if not totally impossible to make manually.   The addition of a 4th axis has opened up a new arena of entertainment.  There have been times (after much trial and error) recently when I have actually been comfortable enough with its operation to walk away while its running and machine manual parts on the lathe.

Bob@BobsShop - drawing, proramming, whistling, and cutting.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »
Imagine doing a bunch of arcs and radius , all on a manual machine with a turntable . Lots of setups.
But , that's all we had , and no DRO.  :o a pad of paper and a pencil , and no Calculater.  :o
Yes , I guess  I am old.  ;D

Ed

Merry Christmas to the best bunch of guys on the best forum on the planet.
Ed VanEss

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »
I was hooked on the Roomba and the Scooba too. It does save time after you have reached the point you can trust it :<)
On a similar note:

We gave our daughter a Romba - you know - one of those cute little automatic sort of robotic room sweepers that were all over the tv screens several years ago.  Anyway, she called to say she loved it, that it did a good job, but that it did not save her any time when cleaning the house.  She went on to explain that watching the little rodent clean was entertaining and instead of turning it lose and going on to  other pursuits, she turned it on and sat down to watch it.  Said she wasted a lot of time like that!

I have had similar experiences when working with my small Taig cnc mill.  It is fun to watch and listen to as it goes about its programmed chores.  Before I got comfortable with the machine I would watch it for hours.  It is, after all, small and slow.  But in the Taigs defense, it will cut parts that would be next to if not totally impossible to make manually.   The addition of a 4th axis has opened up a new arena of entertainment.  There have been times (after much trial and error) recently when I have actually been comfortable enough with its operation to walk away while its running and machine manual parts on the lathe.

Bob@BobsShop - drawing, proramming, whistling, and cutting.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 05:09:14 AM »
Imagine doing a bunch of arcs and radius , all on a manual machine with a turntable . Lots of setups.
But , that's all we had , and no DRO.  :o a pad of paper and a pencil , and no Calculater.  :o
Yes , I guess  I am old.  ;D

You think you had it bad.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ed VanEss
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 05:01:12 PM »
A video camera pointed toward Monty Python (and friends) will surly result in laughter! Good one!

Ed, I have spent the day making a three inch circular cut with a manual mill using only a pad and pencil to figure the coordinates....I'm so old that they didn't even have power feeds back then either!

Bill C.