Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:32:10 AM

Author Topic: Dixie Duke - A machine in the making.  (Read 37690 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Dixie Duke - A machine in the making.
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Yeah, what he said. And tell them we need our Dixie Duke.  ;D  They have to see it looks to good to be delayed.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
HAHA! Hard to do when their waving cash in front of my eyes. I'll take all I can get right now.
Your correct Rich, it always takes longer than what was planned. Especially since the CNC mill took a bullet to the head. That REALLY put a damper on my project. Everything can still be done on the manual mill, but at a much greater expense of time. Discouraging to say the least.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »
Just another update. Slow progress. More boring reading and additional pics on my site. I think I'm gonna go with a drilled and tapped table instead of a T-slot. At least I can see it taking shape now. Kind of like a fetus in the womb.  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:48:42 AM by Sam »
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:03:38 AM »
You certainly have done a lot of machining on that part - it's looking good.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Good progress Sam. It's so rewarding to see the parts getting shape after all the hard work.

Keep up the good work.

Daniel

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 08:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.
Yeah, I had allot more time than I had anticipated in that swiss cheese block. Manually peck drilling 2.5" (63.5mm) deep with a small bit and counter-boring 64 holes was quiet a chore. 'Fun' went out the window on that one. Roughly 16 hours in total on that part.
I got started on the table today. It's only surface ground so far, with one pocket cut in the bottom. Hopefully I will finish that part up tomorrow. It's got two 28" (711mm) long slots for the linear rail that I will have to take my time on to get right, and lots of mounting holes, so I will be lucky if I do get it done I suppose. Here's a pic of progress so far.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »
Got the table 98% completed. All that's left is drilling/tapping some mounting holes in the top surface for vices and fixtures and such, and the end surfaces for the motor and screw mounts. I did manage to slap it all together and give it a test slide. Everything is really nice and smooth, and feels very solid. I'm a happy camper so far. Next up will be the column, or the cabinet its all going to sit on. I haven't finished with the design of the cabinet, so most likely will start on the column. HERE is a crude video of it sliding.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:31 AM »
Looks fun playing with the table... ;)

Daniel
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 07:31:04 AM »
VERY nice work Sam...this stout little beast should perform well.
A good compromise on size, the mobility is a plus too.
RC :)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »
Thanks RC. Definitely had to be mobile. Pretty much every machine and work table I have is on casters, and I don't see how I would get by without them, now. There a really good feature to have in a crowded shop.