Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:37:45 PM

Author Topic: Dixie Duke - A machine in the making.  (Read 37684 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Dixie Duke - A machine in the making.
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
X & Y screws mounted. Scratch one more "to-do" off the list.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
Really nice!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 01:58:15 AM »
Great work Sam - at this rate it will be making chips in two weeks   ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »
Yep, If I could have 2 whole weeks to work on nothing but Dixie, it might be possible. Unfortunately, I don't see "Dixie chips" (hey, that's got a nice ring to it :) ) in my 2 week future.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »
A bit more done. I think all I lack now is making motor mounts, then I can temporarily hook up the electronics, to see some movement. Man, that head is HEAVY. Gonna hafta find a source for some lead shot to make a counterweight. 150+ Lbs I would reckon.
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
"Dixie Chippin' " might not be in two weeks.......but it sure won't be as long as it has been !
Looking real good there Sam !
The mass and rigidity will definitely work to your advantage.
I like it !
Russ

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 05:23:47 AM »
That machine has virtually been milled out of the solid.  ;D

Nice work Sam.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »
Yep, pretty much! It's been one billet machined after another. Finally got 2 motor mounts made this weekend. I'll be glad to see some movement soon... I hope. All this work being done, and it seems like there's no real progress. I need to see something function, #@&%$! Next up is making the mount for the spindle motor. Gonna hafta do some cad work before I can start on that, though. Fitting that large of a motor on such a small space is proving to be a challenge, to say the least.
More pics, but unfortunately no video yet.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 06:09:38 PM »
Still no chips yet, but more progress. Made the stand (well, part of it), and attached the spindle motor. The stand will house all the electrical, and coolant tank. Will probably have drawers or shelves too, for storage. There will be four more vertical post, (2 front, 2 rear) giving more support, and dividing the electrical, coolant, and storage compartments. I ran out of material, so it just didn't get done this time around. Took a short video of the roadrunner/coyote code running. I bumped the feed up 200 ipm. I tried it maxed out at 270ipm@45,000hz, with the acceleration maxed out, but the gecko's didn't like that. >:D With the acceleration tweaked, 300+ ipm would not be hard to achieve at all. That's about 200 ipm more than what I need, or want, and at the first sign not having enough torque, I'll be incorporating a drive reduction. The Z axis motor did not seem to show any weakness at all lifting the 130 pound head at 200 IPM. I was quiet shocked at that. Still gotta find me a good (cheap) source for some lead shot to make a counterbalance. All in due time, I suppose. http://www.hillbillyhilton.com/vid/DDvid.wmv

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »
So very impressive, Sam, just beautiful work.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)