Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:52:28 PM

Author Topic: help...cutting text (letter) on plasma cutter  (Read 5686 times)

help...cutting text (letter) on plasma cutter
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
Help

I am cutting text (letters) on a plasma cutter and I cannot seem to get the letters to run smooth expecially the the rounded letters like S.  the machine shakes. the letters have an extreme amount of points.  I have tried corel draw, illustrator, importing them in auto cad, rhino, sheet cam, then to Mach to cut.  I have tried using the letters plain, making them into outlines first.  Nothing that I have tried seems to work all of the time. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: help...cutting text (letter) on plasma cutter
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:29:03 PM »
Making sure you are in G64 (Constant Velocity mode) may help but really it sounds like your CAD/CAM is the problem. Afraid I have never used any of the CAD programmes you mention so cant be a help there :(
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:26:17 AM »
Is it the plazma cutter or Mach3/Machine ? 

It might be something as simple as the feed rate, are you seeing lots of dross ?

JH
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »
How do I tell if Im in g64? is it under general configuration?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
Yes its on General config but can also be changed by the code, so if your code had G61 in it it would just change it back to exact stop (G61)
Best thing is to have a G64 at the start of your code and make sure there are no G61's in your code.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »
I'm thinking Hood's right on the button re: CV being the issue but with regards to
the letters have an extreme amount of points.
if you're using RhinoCAM on your Rhino there's an option under preferences/machining preferences to switch arc gen between line segments and true arcs.

Cheers

Ian