Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:16:09 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 running on Networked PCs  (Read 3358 times)

Mach3 running on Networked PCs
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
Does anyone run Mach3 on a PC that is connected to a network or the internet?

Our current machines are not networked together and I was considering doing this but was concerned about the performance.  I was thinking about setting up a small shop network just to share files among 2 CNC Mills running Mach3 and 1 PC were program files are generated.  Do you see any potential issues with Mach3 and performance?

Thanks,
JH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach3 running on Networked PCs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
My Mach3 PC in the garage is connected to my home network with 4 PC's, 1 print server, 2 TIVO's and an Xbox360. No problems at all.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
Beaver NC5 Mill, Bridgeport BOSS Mill, Computurn 290 Lathe all running Mach and all connected to the network along with my desktop computer and no problems at all.
 Only problems I know of with networking is some wireless ones can cause problems.

Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »
Do not try to load files stored on a network drive into Mach. While it will work fine most of the time any slight network delay can cause problems. Copy the gcode file from your network drive to the local machine. I keep a folder on the desktop for the files I am going to cut.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »
Cool, sounds like it is not a BIG deal. 

Been having some PC issues, the newly auto-rebooting feature while running a toolpath is undesired, so a new PC is in the works.  Time to step back and evaluate, come up with a better workflow solution, including networking.  No plans to connect them the internet, just a shop net.

Thanks,
JH