Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:12:27 PM

Author Topic: Help with Spindle Index please  (Read 8556 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Help with Spindle Index please
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:17:05 AM »
John,

If you're using one of the last versions of Mach3 I think it might be related to what Art has discovered as an incorrect spindle speed showing with fast CPU computers. It should have a fix in the next version Brian releases.

Daniel
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
Aha!  I'm using version 3.042.032, the latest on the website (last week) - does this have the bug please?  Is it just the speed display that's affected, can I use the index with confidence to try threading do you know?

Also, where are known issues documented please?

Thanks, John.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
Hi John,

Art mentioned on the other group that the last versions of Mach3 (which had the threading fixed) had problems with CPU speeds higher than 2.1Ghz. If that's the case for you then that's probably your problem. I don't know if it's only the speed display which is affected.

As a temporary fix you'll have to go back to some previous version (3.042.029 I think was the last one known as good). As I said the next version should be out soon with the fix in it.

Daniel

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »
John,
You may want to try the fix that is in the following link:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,8314.msg87047.html#msg87047

That fix was supposed to be incorporated into a new version of Mach, but...., I have yet to see it posted.
All know threading specifics that you need to be aware of, up to and including ver 032, are so noted in the Threading on the Lathe write-up.  I never updated the write up because i thought a new version would be out
and only wanted to do it once.  Oh well....sorry about that.

If the fix takes care of your readout i would stick with ver 032 for threading.
RICH
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
Dan, Rich, thanks for the information.  I will try the version with the fix - 032 seems to work properly with the Shuttle as well.  Is the fix version effectively 032 with a patch?  So I should run with that version as opposed to the 032 that I downloaded previously?

Just for info, I dusted off the scope (well, dug it out of the box where it had languished since I inherited it from my Dad - dusting would be a step far!) and fired it up.  First surprise, the electrolytics didn't go bang after all that time!  I looked at the index waveform, a nice clean pulse, no sign of bounce or noise, 3 ms low time at 660 RPM, so I don't think I have a sensor problem.

Thanks again for the help - it's great how people rally round in this community, I hope as I learn more I will be able to help too.

John.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
 :(...the new version "failed to start because enable40dll was not found"...
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »
John

The "fix" is not the full mach 3 program. First you should load the standard .032 program. Then download the "fix" and copy and paste it into your mach 3 folder. When it asks if you want to replace the existing file, select yes. That should solve your problem with the enable40dll problem.

Peter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 04:20:08 AM »
Thanks Peter...yes, that's what I did effectively last evening...deleted the app from the folder and pasted in the new one.  Speed DRO now works fine, shows slightly higher than the Myford plate, also now showing positive speeds!  Still puzzling that when I stop the spindle manually it shows 500....

Anyway, now to venture on to screwcutting!

Thanks all again,

John.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 06:12:50 AM »
John

The remaining speed indication after the spindle has stopped, is I believe a known issue that Art is aware of. Screwcutting works well with the new arrangement.

Peter