Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:05:24 AM

Author Topic: MODEL 629 S&W MAGNUM  (Read 31052 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: MODEL 629 S&W MAGNUM
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
Marcel,
I am not that familar with the specifics of the button or the different techniques of using it. Some say the press rotates the button  when pushed through and others say they let the barrel spin when the button is pulled.

I don't know if i can even make the button but i got time to find and research options.  ???

All part of the hidden challenges in doing the model. Hmm...... like the 108 TPI threaded portion ( Think i will cheat on that one!). The cut depth is almost not practical.  ;)
Currently getting  rotarty indexer done for the lathe spindle. I got to admit that there is a learning curve associated with this one.
RICH
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
Hello Rich

The button turns by itself ,it is like driving a spiral nail in wood .
there are sites on the internet that shows how to make miniature firearms

Marcel Beaudry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
Macrel,
Have a link to one that gets into the detail? I looked at some that show the finished work but none that i looked at gave very specific details on how they did some of the tasks.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »
Thanks Marcel, will do.
RICH
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Rich

I read of some person who use a reamer rounded the edges of cutting surface plunged it into the bore of the barrel and the result was the illusion that the bore was rifled

Marcel

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 01:22:52 AM »
Hi All,
Times flies when your having fun. I said this would take time.
You need to do little things like detail out the parts, make stuff to do the work
 ( had to make a tail piece for the indexer), and develop the gcode. Plan out the machining.
The pic's give you an idea of what is involved and this is just a fraction of it all.
Contouring the barrel will take a lot of code and seperate operations, will all be done with one set up,
PITA, since there is not one straight line so to speak other than the bore!

RICH
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 04:12:40 AM »
Wonderful project! I used to have a model 29 classic hunter, 8" full lug barrel and unfluted cylinder, delicious fun and a great way to turn railway sleepers into firewood.

Ideas for the barrel: Use a section of .177 airgun barrel? Or use a bit of it for a guide to gradually scrape out grooves? A spring loaded cutter at the tip of the rifling tool would be easy enough to make, and would just wear a groove gradually. File the rifling out very carefully at the crown of the barrel to make it look deeper, if you need it, and if you can find a file that small :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »
Hi All,
Time just flies when your having fun. I got "in the mood" to work on the magnum.
Like I said, need to reverse engineer the darn thing to get dimensions for the scaled model, so been working on the cylinder drawings.
Here's a shot of the ejector, was a PITA, but got it figured out and can generate code for test cutting......

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »
Yep, still experimenting some with the model. I decided that some of the pieces will be done on the mill using
3D CAM to generate the code. The attached pic shows the steps:
1- Create 3D model and export as a STL file
2- Import into Meshcam
3- Pic of all the pathing
4- Profile pathing
5-Pencil  pathing
6-Parallel pathing
7- Simulating the gcode
8- Run the file in Mach Mill

Now all i need to do is buy / find a bunch of 1/32" endmills as the ones i have won't fit the high speed spindle.
This piece is small as shown in my other posts. Cutting / forming the barrel will be much easier using 3D work.
Additionally it will help a lot on trigger and hammer programming. Especially true when you need to checker the
 hammer as hand coding of it would be a PITA. New learning curve....just having fun when I am in the mood.
 Maybe i better extend this project another 6 months at the current rate i am going! ;)
RICH