Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:11:27 PM

Author Topic: Spindle speed calibration?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Spindle speed calibration?
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »
Well I finally got my new speed controller board from Sherline. I connected it back up and everything worked as it should or appeared/s to. I installed the min din and Dc 04 and all seems to work however the speeds requested and speed delivered are 2 different things. If I am in manual mode it appears to turn about 1480rpms. So in pulley configuration under pulley 1 I have set the max as 1480. However when entering M3 S1300 I might see 480. So far the maximum I can achieve is 1100 no matter what I tell it. If I am on the diagnostics screen I see the light blink everytime the mark passes the sensor, when I manually turn the spindle. At speed it is hard to tell if it is seeing each pass but appears to. I have tried using the index and timing as the input with the exact same rpm reading after setting changes. Any ideas? Autocal doesn’t seem to do anything. It does go thru its routine and asks me if I want to save the findings. I select yes, then I select save changes, restart Mach and it is right back where I was. So close and yet so far. No smoke though, everything still works predictably if in manual mode. I have tried with and without spindle speed feedback with no differences.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:44:47 AM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle speed calibration?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
Fastest1,
What version of Mach are you using?
Is this for a mill or lathe?

RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
3.042.032. Right now it is on a sherline mill though it swaps over to the lathe very quickly. I just tried a threading wizard on the mill using a lathe profile. It looked like it went thru the motions correctly but the indicated speed is never close to requested speed.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
Timing ( single index only ) for the lathe is no longer functional and you need to uncheck "Disable Spindle Relays" also. I have never used any of the speed controllers so someone else will need to chime in.

RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »
Rich
Thanks for the help. I do have the disable spindle relays unchecked. I have it set to index and not timing. Timing never showed rpms. It operates just the speed is different than stated. I am going to check into the P.I.D. settings as these might have some overall effect. Not sure yet. It is working with m3/m5. I air cut a thread using my mill with the lathe profile, it did seem to mimic the correct action and the spindle seemed to slow down while the z moved pretty rapidly. I have played with the debounce. Also I notice that the index led on the diagnostics page seems to miss a beat occasionally or it looks that way and the debounce or index debounce seems to have no effect. Since i am controlling the speed with a pwm the motor tuning shouldnt have an effect should it?

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 11:12:02 PM »
Restarted this morning and the rpms followed the requested speed for some reason. I had restarted many times yesterday after making settings changes. Cant seem to go over 1100 rpm in the auto mode but I can hit 1450 in manual. Pulley is set to 1480 max. I have excellent speed control til then. Might be a trimpot? Played with the PID settings to see what they did. Lots to read there. I threaded on my sherline mill using the z and putting a toolpost with a sideways mounted tool. It worked well after alot of errors on my part, well might be stretching it. I can see where I am going to put the motor onto the lathe for the rigidity (that is a relative term)