Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 09:53:31 PM

Author Topic: LazyCam is being Lazy...  (Read 4694 times)

LazyCam is being Lazy...
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:44:42 PM »
I am new to the whole CNC thing, but could not find any posts with the same specific issue I am having.  I am trying to engrave some lines (mostly imported font from DXF).  The lines are close together and it will not pick up the tool between many of the entities when I get to a font size much smaller that 24 point.  It shows fine in Lazycam Pro, but when import it into Mach3 you can see many of the lines are dropped and others are connected.  I am using an etching point, I have tried entering in all sorts of tool thicknesses and depths, but it keeps bridging the entities.  Other than the goofed lines, it looks fine so the smaller font will work fine if I can fix the random entity removal and insertion between some of the letters.   I tried using the lazycam font feature and it does the same thing, the font looks fine on lazycam, but not good in mach3.  That being said I can't really tell what the machine tool patch is using lazycam, but maybe that is another topic or limitation of the program.   I have tried removing leadins, etc and have not had any success.  Need help, if I can etch font, makes the tool kinda useless for my needs!

Thanks,
Charlie
Re: LazyCam is being Lazy...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
Hi Charlie,
  Check the connection tolerance.
Reducing it might help.
Good luck,
RC
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
Very Cool!   Have 8 point font looking good, only mirrored ???

Now for the next question, not sure if this a mach3 setup or lazycam issue...  I can work around by mirroring my DXF files, but the font displays right side up in lazycam reading left to right as it should.    Same in the tool path in mach3.  After the part is cut though, its mirrored (reads fine from the backside - its clear).  I have the engraver so X is the bridge going positive as it drives away from me and the home switch, and y going positive to the right when facing the maching

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
Hmm,
Take a look & apply the right hand rule to your axis. You can find an explaination of it in Members Docs.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
Charlie,
Is it a bridge or a gantry ? Bridges dont move.

If the X+ is traveling away from you, the Y+ should be traveling to your left.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
This is how I have the table set up.   The gantry that runs over then entier table and moves the Y and Z is what I have as the X.  I have the Y as the part that moves the router Z left and right.  This is the way the documentation that came with the router table said to do it, but was just an ebay special and I woudl rather set it up with normal US convention.  I can swap the X and Y easy enough, I would prefer not to have to remount my home limit switches, but I can.  The home switches I have mounted are mounted at my 0,0 shown below.  I have Z driving so 0.0 is all the way up (home) and then it goes negative into the part.   Where are the member docs? for the right hand rule.   Thanks

^
^
+
X
-
0,0 <<< - Y + >>>

Home
Me
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »
You dont have to move any switches, homing direction can be reversed in the software and you can enter a HOME OFF value to make 0 where ever you like.
Mem. docs is near the bottom of the Main forum page.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »
OK.  Found the right hand rule document...

Looking at this I should set up like this then?

^
^
+
Y
-
0,0 <<< - X + >>>