Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:32:27 AM

Author Topic: Shuttle Express problem - help please  (Read 5584 times)

Shuttle Express problem - help please
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:36:27 AM »
When I first set up Mach on my lathe and installed the Shuttle plug-in, the motor directions (for jog and G-Code directed moves) was wrong so I fixed that in the "ports and pins" dialogue.  However whilst the Z-Axis moves correctly under the Shuttle Express controls, the X-axis moves the wrong way at least with the jog wheels (both inner and outer).  Also the outer wheel (which produces continuous movement at a speed depending on how far the wheel is turned) only produces movement at small discrete positions rather than the speed changing reasonably smoothly depending on deflection.  Trying to fix this by selecting "reverse X" tick-box doesn't work.

Please could anyone suggest how to fix this problem?  One way I guess might be to re-install the plug-in, but I'm not sure how to de-install it first!

TIA for any help,

John.
Re: Shuttle Express problem - help please
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 04:02:42 PM »
Please, please, has someone seen this problem before?  Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

john.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »
Never had a Shuttle so can't really help except for telling you how to delete the plugin, all you have to do is go to the Plugins folder in the Mach3 folder and delete the shuttle dll.
 Hood
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
Aha!  Thanks Hood, I'll give it a whirl and try re-loading it.

Made my first part in anger the other evening, an item for the lathe to complete the conversion (mounting stud for the spindle sensor).  I was very impressed that Mach3 got it dead to size - better than I've ever done!

John.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
:)
 Yes its great to see the machine doing what you would struggle to do. In my workshop I have both manual lathes and CNC and if I am needing to get very tight tolerances I will use the CNC as it can get there a lot quicker than I can ;D

Hood
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
Well, I can report progress!  Today I downloaded the latest Mach3 lockdown version, uninstalled the pervious driver and deleted all the files having first taken a backup of the config xml.  Re-installed Mach3, now find the rather than having to load the Shuttle plug-in it is part of the release.  After carefully checking that the Shuttle Express works as intended following the instructions, I set it up and try it out.  Now works much better but I still find that the X direction it moves in response to the jog wheel is counter-intuitive: the crossfeed screw turns anticlockwise when I turn the jog wheel ckockwise and vice-versa!  Z feed works fine.  In the latest version the check-box option to reverse the feed has been removed as well!

So question: is there a way to fix this please or do I have to get used to it?

Thanks,

John.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Which direction is the axis moving when rotating the wheel CW?

Hood
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:19:32 AM »
Well, I can report progress!  Today I downloaded the latest Mach3 lockdown version, uninstalled the pervious driver and deleted all the files having first taken a backup of the config xml.  Re-installed Mach3, now find the rather than having to load the Shuttle plug-in it is part of the release.  After carefully checking that the Shuttle Express works as intended following the instructions, I set it up and try it out.  Now works much better but I still find that the X direction it moves in response to the jog wheel is counter-intuitive: the crossfeed screw turns anticlockwise when I turn the jog wheel ckockwise and vice-versa!  Z feed works fine.  In the latest version the check-box option to reverse the feed has been removed as well!

So question: is there a way to fix this please or do I have to get used to it?

Thanks,

John.

The shuttle always moves all axes in the positive direction when you turn the jog wheel CW, and negative direction when you turn the jog wheel CCW.  There is no way to change this without modifying the driver.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
Ray, many thanks for the confirmation!  I will live with it (but maybe suggest it as an enhancement).

Thanks again, John.