Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:15:55 PM

Author Topic: Machine won't move.  (Read 5473 times)

Machine won't move.
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »
I ran a cnc router with Mach trial for many months, until my computer had a crash( a virus I think). I purchased another computer,(Gateway 3.06GhzCeleron 512mb, 40gb) and downloaded Mach trial again. I had the orig xml from the maker of my router, and dropped it in, got the xbox 360 plugin/driver and the whole nine. I can't get the machine to move. Screen comes up normal, the coordinates move when I toggle the joystick, and it says the xbox plugin is working, and I configured plugins, cancelled shuttlepro plugin, and all that.I ended up repeating this process a few more times. I shouldn't have to mess with configs if my xml was fine before. I checked device manager settings for all the hardware on the new computer and every port and hub is good. I even got the old computer started again briefly so i could get my old Mach program(that worked good) on a usb stick, and transferred that to the new computer. I can't make sense of why Mach won't work on this new computer. It appears right. I had the old computer running through Mach, and jogging my router around fine just before I shut it down for good to get repaired. The old computer was a Dell optiplex, but it shouldn't be much different than this Gateway. Does the Mach program have to be downloaded in the C drive to work? I sent it from the memory stick into my documents, mabye that is a problem? I'm confused.
Re: Machine won't move.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
If you are saying you just copied all the old files to the new machine thats the problem. The Mach install process does some stuff to install the driver and sets some registry values. Thats why the re-boot after the first install is so critical.

Download a full Mach kit from the web and run the install process on the new machine. After its installed you can replace the xml with your old xml to get back to your config.

You might also try to download the mach install manual and follow the steps in that. It is clearly spelled out and goes through all the needed steps.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
Here's 2 different xml's, do they look ok? The zenbot one should be custom for my machine's steppers and all that.I don't know because i don't know how to read xml's.I followed manual, and rebooted right after download. Then dropped on of the xml;s in, and could get machine to neither jog or numbers to move on readout. Xbox controller plugin is in and good, checked it in device manager. One thing I don't understand is when installing Mach3, how important it is to create custom profiles. I do simple stuff, and only need it to run my machine without re-configuring or adjusting motors, ports and pins, etc. I just need one profile. If I have a good xml, where should I drop it so I can finally get this right? Thanks.
Just tried it again, re-downloaded,re-booted, placed zenbot xml. into the mach3 folder on c:drive. The mach screen came up as half a screen again, and lost my xbox plugin. What is the problem here??
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:58:33 PM by avirostick »
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »
Well, I got it moving and just ran a small  program, but the configs are all off. At least I know that it's confined to the configurations. I still don't understand how my xml didn't configure the settings like it did before. I hate to be back at square one with all these elemantary type issues, it's just instead of really learning the technical ins and outs of Mach, I had been actually using my machine and staying busy! I'm not sure what I missed here. Can someone tell me if I put the xml in the wrong way? The xml was attached to an email, I saved it to my documents, then made shortcut to desktop, then after Mach was installed and rebooted I went to my computer from start menu, went to c: drive files, clicked on mach3, and put the xml in there with all the other mach files in that folder. Should I have removed the mach3xml that was installed with the download or do they not interfere with each other? I checked with a 12" scale to roughly see how far off it was and the x axis alone says it's travelled about .552 when it really traveled about an inch. The other axes are off too.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
What is the name of the xml you got by email?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
I think it's called Mach3xml. It's one I attached so you guys can see. I don't know what they mean, but I do know they make the machine work good! Something definitely isn't adding up here. I just ran this program yesterday with the xml. As soon as I switched to another computer, I had problems getting the xml (either into mach, or working with mach). Thats why I stated step by step how I put the xml in, because at this point I'm not sure of anything. Thanks for the help Hood.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:26:52 PM by avirostick »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
If that is the name of it and you have placed it in the Mach3 folder on your drive are you sure you are using it? If you just use the standard Mach3Mill shortcut then it will load Mach3Mill profile. What to do is use the Mach3 Loader shortcut then in the list you should see your Mach3 profile, choose that and see if all works.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »
It is working now. I did not properly put the mach profile into the mach3 folder. Geeesh, get in a hurry and it can cost you a lotta time! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Take care.