Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:13:11 PM

Author Topic: lathe index led intermittant .  (Read 3404 times)

lathe index led intermittant .
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »
is the index led supposed to blink on off all the time when the spindle is turning? i have it flashing on about 5-6 times , then going off, then randomly lighting. i have rpm readings from 100-3000 rpm. my spindle motor is driven by ab impact vfd, takes step pulse for speed. i can enter into the spindle speed 1345 and the spindle rpm is being read by the spindle sensor as 1345 +- 1rpm so i know that the spindle sensor is working properly. this is by 2 parralel ports, cnc4pc bboards, and cnc4pc index pulse board.

i have tried reinstalling the latest version , still the same. tried using smoothstepper, still the same. reason i am concerned the index is not working properly in mach, and have been having problems threading.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: lathe index led intermittant .
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
It is supposed to be blinking and should really be doing it consistently. What problems are you having with threading?
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
The index randonly  blinks in diagnostics here. PP & single index / manualy setting rpm. There is a fix which
Art posted recently in "Problems Threading on the Lathe" for users with VFD's, but, you seem not to have a problem with rpm readout.
The inportant blink of the the index is that you  are triggering for the start of thread cutting.
See section 3.4 of "Threading On The Lathe"  ( you will find it in Members Docs ) for index and z axis tests you can do.
RICH 
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »
i have been getting a sawtooth shape in threading. the cutter is correctly centered and square to the workpiece. debounce is set to 0.
29.5 degree infeed. the toolpost is a rigid setup. hardinge chnc3 lathe. no measurable backlash in the z or x axis.i will check out the documentation thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:04:56 AM »
Make sure you have the setting "Use Spindle Feedback In Sync Mode" checked, its on Config menu, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
thanks hood , i have that checked.will try again tomorrow.