Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:11:54 PM

Author Topic: Need help with motor tuning!!  (Read 3747 times)

Offline wdp67

•  31 31
    • View Profile
Need help with motor tuning!!
« on: November 28, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
Howdy all!
Got my Bridgeport clone x and y axis done, still working on the z, but I need some help setting up the motor tuning. I have the steps and all that figured out, been using it as is for a couple weeks, and everything is cutting to dimension. What I need help with is setting the acceloration and velocity. I have it set up right now with a velocity of 25 and accel 4, dont ask me how I got to these numbers cause I don't remember, but I want it to go faster without loosing steps. I do not know how to do the tuning and am afraid to just start tweaking thing. I am sure it should be able to go faster without loosing steps, but I need some guidance to figure it all out.

Thanks in advance!!

Walt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with motor tuning!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »
It will all depend on your motors, drives, whether ballscrews or leadscrews etc etc. Afraid their is no easy answer but realistically you should manage faster than that with a greater acceleration as well. Trial and error is the only real way unless someone else has the same setup then they can tell you what worked for them.

I have a Bridgeport Boss with 916 ozin steppers and G202 drives. I have the motors geared 2.5:1 as thats what the original BOSS had and I get 2000mm/min with accel of 120.

Hood

Offline wdp67

•  31 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
Thanks for that, my setup is a Logitrol system with 1200oz hybrid steppers, and it uses Gecko drivers. It is a Birmingham 3949 with leadscrews. The motors are geared 2:1. Hope that helps.

Walt
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:10:07 AM »
I would suggest you leave acceleration low, and increase velocity, and see how high you can push it without stalling.  When you reach the speed where it stalls, back off by 30%, then start increasing acceleration until it starts stalling, and when you reach that point, back off 30%.  After that, it's just a matter of running it enough to make sure it's reliable under real world conditions.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline wdp67

•  31 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 01:19:18 AM »
Thanks Ray, I went ahead and boosted it up to 35 ipm and ran a few programs in the air, and it seemed to do ok, I will try some more in the morning, what do you think I can expect for speed?

Walt
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
Thanks Ray, I went ahead and boosted it up to 35 ipm and ran a few programs in the air, and it seemed to do ok, I will try some more in the morning, what do you think I can expect for speed?

Walt

Walt,

No clue.  That depends on your motors, controllers, power supply, reducers, screws, how tight your gibs are, and all kind of other factors.  Every machine is different.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.