Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 10:27:28 AM

Author Topic: Forgive the newbie stupid questions please....  (Read 5797 times)

Forgive the newbie stupid questions please....
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
   Hey guys,
       I have a total newbie question here, I always use my manual starret edge finder to locate my fixtures on the mill and when I do I have to go to MDI and add in the .1 which is half the diameter of the edge finders probe. I notice that when I do type in these values there is a drop box that has the previous info I have typed in there. There have been many times I wanted to add the same info but could not simply click on it but rather had to retype it in, is there a way to access these previous inputs without having to retype it every time? SOunds simple I know but I cannot figure it out. I am still trying to get a handle on this software and so far it seems to work very well. I have much to learn and I am currently trying to get my first production run done with some simple small parts and basic fixturing. The auto axis calibration setup was very cool and I am so far getting some very repeatable and accurate parts but I know that there are many ways to improve efficiency with both my CAm work and just using mach to it's full advantage. I am getting ready to buy a nice electronic edge finder which I hope to turn into a probe so I can take advantage of the probing goodies in mach but I still have to learn more about that right now... Thanks in advance and thank you very much for this amazing software.... peace

Pete

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Forgive the newbie stupid questions please....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:06:15 PM »
Pete,
Use the up key and it will change what is in the MDI line to one of the others you typed in.
Make sure the curser is in the MDI line.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »
Just use the Up/Down arrows on your keyboard to select previously entered MDI info.

You can also type direct into a DRO if you are wanting to offset an axis and further to that for instance if you are trying to find the ,middle of a part you could find one edge, zero the DRO, move to the opposite edge and find that then all you do is divide by two directly in the DRO. To divide you just click the DRO type /2 and it will divide the entry by 2 :)
 Same goes for multiplying or adding but if wanting to subtract you have to add a negative number.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Hood,
"To divide you just click the DRO type /2 and it will divide the entry by 2 
 Same goes for multiplying or adding but if wanting to subtract you have to add a negative number"

Is that in the manual somewhere? Living a sheltered life here as i didn't know that.  ;)
RICh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »
Doubt its in the manual, it was only added by Brian maybe 6 months ago.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »
Hmm....
I will correct my last statement. There is a heck of lot i don't know yet.   :D
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 06:24:40 PM »
Thats the big problem with Mach and manuals, things change that fast it would be impossible to keep up unless you had an army of people to do the work and as far as I know Brians kids are not old enough yet to be press ganged into doing that stuff ;D

Hood
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
GO figure...  always the keys I did not press is the one that does the trick.  Not real sure about the DRO division you guys are talking about but I am gonna investigate... thanks much for your help....

Peace

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
Hood,
How about a new thread called "DID YOU KNOW".
The reply only has to give a one or two line description and would alert others to those things that
many would not be aware of. Your right on trying to keep up with things.
RICH

BTW, for stuff not found in the manual.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »
Go for it Rich ;D

Hood