Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:57:58 AM

Author Topic: How to install Shuttle Pro?  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How to install Shuttle Pro?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 04:32:57 AM »
I love mine, Hood you could build a nice aluminum enclosure instead of the cheap plastic one! I would buy 1!

I made my own pendant a while back that would stand the rigours of my spotlessly clean workshop environment ;D
 Don't use it now as I have found I don't like pendants so I am back to just using the control panels on the machines. I am just building one at the moment for my new mill, here's what I am doing. Stainless IP65 keyboard and trackball, and to the side is an MPG, above the MPG there is an axis selector switch and also a switch that will choose the mode of the MPG (Constant, Step x 0.1mm, Step x 0.05mm, Step x 0.01mm)
On the vertical panel is a 17 inch touch screen and the button panel has a pot for FRO and also one for SRO, an E-Stop and all the normal buttons such as Drawbar release, Spindle Disable, Optional Stop, Computer Start, Programme Start, Feedhold, Stop etc etc.

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 08:00:10 AM »
Just thought I'd post the setup guide download for the Shuttle Pro 2 as it's on the Plugins download page (just look up under the Artsoft logo in the downloads menu).

http://www.machsupport.com/plugins/ShuttleProInstallation.pdf

Ray, wow, quite a turn around from loving the Shuttle like you used to, eh? I'm still a huge fan of it, especially with the 10 macros now. Albeit, a little awkward to hold but I have kind of big hands and I added a stainless bar/handle to make holding it and picking it up much easier. Absolutely love the jogwheel and I have had no issues with that being glitchy at all, and believe me, as you all know, I would have complained  :D

Hood, that console looks great-

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 08:51:52 AM »
I second Daves opinion at the moment. My shuttle pro 2 has worked flawlessly since plugging it in. I do agree that it is a clumsy device and probably never meant to be picked up but now I can move part to tool effortlessly. I also do as Ray suggests with the manual machining. It does make manual machining easy and accurate. Did you use a plugin for the imach or is it a pendant where you used keygrabber? And why arent you using your mini mill? Hood can you see your parts in your machines from where that console will be? Also I saw that probe you built. Solid seems to be a constant around your shop.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:53:24 AM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »
Hood can you see your parts in your machines from where that console will be? Also I saw that probe you built. Solid seems to be a constant around your shop.

Yes the control panel is on an arm that swings round and the control can also swivel on the end of the arm. The one I have on the lathe also extends so I can swing it right round the guards and into the work space but I never use it that way so that was a waste of time LOL.

Dont have my camera here today so cant take any pics LOL
Hood
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »
I second Daves opinion at the moment. My shuttle pro 2 has worked flawlessly since plugging it in. I do agree that it is a clumsy device and probably never meant to be picked up but now I can move part to tool effortlessly. I also do as Ray suggests with the manual machining. It does make manual machining easy and accurate. Did you use a plugin for the imach or is it a pendant where you used keygrabber? And why arent you using your mini mill? Hood can you see your parts in your machines from where that console will be? Also I saw that probe you built. Solid seems to be a constant around your shop.

For reasons I do not comprehend, the iMach plug-in works only with the iMach connected to a PP.  It does not work reliably on either SS or Modbus.  So, I tossed the plug-in, and wrote my own driver as a macro pump.  It works perfectly on any interface, and let me modify and expand the functionality.  I posted the macropump on the Yahoo forum, and I believe here, and gave it to VistaCNC, and I believe they make it available to their customers.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 11:17:24 AM »
I am just figuring out how to use a plugin. I spend many hours reading about SS and Mod Bus etc with absolutely no understanding their uses or advantages just yet. I do like the pendant you are using and the price seems very fair.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline bdmsb

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »
I'm new to Mach3 and had no idea there were other choices for a pendant. I got the ShuttlePro because I saw one at a friend's house. But then I suppose it might have taken me a long time to learn about the alternatives had I not asked questions about the one I bought. The USB interface works for me as I have only one parallel port. It's tempting to build a custom gizmo, but it quickly becomes a question of whether I want to build tools or use them. Time is short (and getting shorter).