Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:15:25 AM

Author Topic: How to install Shuttle Pro?  (Read 8388 times)

Offline bdmsb

•  14 14
    • View Profile
How to install Shuttle Pro?
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
I have received a Shuttle Pro and installed in on the PC but can't find any instructions in the Mach3 literature for how to make it available to the program.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How to install Shuttle Pro?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
I have never used one but think you have to uninstall the software that comes with it and use the plugin in Mach. To enable the Plugin go to Config menu then down to plugins, enable the shuttle and then exit and restart Mach, the shuttle plugin should now be working. Not sure where you set things up, it will either be from the plugins again by clicking on the shuttle one,  or could be from the Plugin Control menu

Hood
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:31:37 PM by Hood »

Offline bdmsb

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
That's a start, thanks. I have enabled the ShuttlePro from "Config Plugins" but the system seems to have acquired molasses. Operation is sluggish and the ShuttlePro is slow to respond. After I release the jog wheel it continues to feed motion commands to the mill for several seconds because they sem to have "backed up" in a queue. I did NOT uninstall the ShuttlePro driver from their CD. Does someone have personal experience with this accessory?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
I think you need to uninstall the software that came with the shuttle, try it and see, worst case you will have to install again :)

Hood

Offline bdmsb

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
Sorry to have wasted your time. You were right. Removing the installed driver makes it work fine. It's really a very handy pendant. You ought to try it.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »
No time wasted :)

Dont think it would last more than 2 mins in my workshop LOL

Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »
I love mine, Hood you could build a nice aluminum enclosure instead of the cheap plastic one! I would buy 1!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
The VistaCNC iMachPro is a FAR better pendant than the ShuttlePro.  I got one, and have not used the ShuttlePro since.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
Ray why do you say FAR? How do you set up the imach? Keygrabber or plugin? I watched the video it seems nice and it looks like the price must have come down. I was using a defective joystick and this was available at Micro Center NOW. So I bought it, but you know this is an evolutionary process and tools can be reallocated. I like the Campbell and Homann designed stuff too.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
Ray why do you say FAR? How do you set up the imach? Keygrabber or plugin? I watched the video it seems nice and it looks like the price must have come down. I was using a defective joystick and this was available at Micro Center NOW. So I bought it, but you know this is an evolutionary process and tools can be reallocated. I like the Campbell and Homann designed stuff too.

I used a ShuttlePro for almost a year.  I found it a little squirrelly.  Button presses were not always reliably captured by Mach3, and the jog wheel was also a little dodgy at times - jogging would get jerky.  The form factor is HORRIBLE for a hand-held pendant - too big, too thin, and too top-heavy.  It's hard to operate one-handed.  It is incredibly easy to accidentally hit a button while picking it up, or putting it down, or, dropping it, which happens often. 

The iMach Pro is MUCH smaller, does more, and has additional jog modes that make it ideal for doing "manual" milling.  In fact, I can do 90% of my normal operations using just the pendant.  The important functions - spindle on/off, coolant on/off, etc, can be assigned to "double-click" actions, so they're almost impossible to trigger accidentally.  Plus, you can control far more "continuous" functions.  I can control continuous jog rate, increment jog step size, spindle over-ride and feedrate over-ride all from the pending, in addition to turning the spindle and coolant on and off, activating CycleStart, FeedHold, Stop, and E-Stop, and jogging four axes in several different modes (incremental, continuous, velocity, and step/velocity).  And, the E-Stop is a TRUE E-Stop, with dedicated hard-wired switch connections that directly disable my power supplies, even if Mach has (once again...) gone out to lunch.  And, it is, for all practical purposes, a passive device - the only electronics are a few TTL gates to light the LEDs.  So, it should be VERY reliable.  It is also physically robust, and has a nice rubber "cozy" to keep it from being damaged if you do drop it.

Like I said, from the day I got the iMach, I've never used the ShuttlePro again, and never will, except perhaps on my (rarely used) mini mill.

Regards,
RayL.
Regards,
Ray L.