Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:39:49 AM

Author Topic: Lazycam centering of work for engraving  (Read 4455 times)

Lazycam centering of work for engraving
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:30:08 AM »
Hello,

I am to use Lazycam mainly for engraving. I draw a .dxf file.. open in lazycam. It sets the origin to the bottom left hand corner.
Now say for instance that most of my items are round... i want to have the origin in the center of the engraving, so i can center the work......

Thinking of doing a line or cross in the center of the drawing, so i can set a different layer, say 1mm above, then stop the program at the appropriate point and centre the work on the machine.....

Anyone know how i can make the origin of the workpiece from Lazycam not on the bottom corner but in the middle?

Every engraving would be different..... there are 50 or so different engravings...

Any help would be appreciated.
I am going to read the lazycam manual again..

Cheers

Ian

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lazycam centering of work for engraving
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »
Ian,
See figure 6.2.3 in the manual.
Just move the drawing such that 0,0,0 is at some point on the drawing,  then dxf it. On import of the dxf into LC, LC will maintain the origin as drawn if you have the "As Drawn" box checked.  There are other ways to move the origin in LC, see figure 6.2.4.8.
Everybody works differently. I like to define the origin in CAD based on some point i know i can accurately locate,ie; an edge of the stock or a center of a circle.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 05:57:51 AM »
Hello,

The manual doesn't really give me a step by step solution to the problem.... But i worked out that by drawing a line in the cad program that ends in the center of the work then i can use Lazycam and find that center.... reset the origin.. actually i can't remember the command... but it's second or third down on the right side of lazycam....  it opens a box which i type in the new x and y origin then centers it....
I then send the cam to Mach3... close the program and open notepad... edit the program so that it cuts that line above the part...

It does reference all the engraving from the new center... so it works... it takes a few minutes but once i've done it.. it's always done.... so i'm prepared to do it this way...

Cheers

Ian

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
Ian,
Got me on that one as I thought i had something in the manual.
You can move  the origin easily by just right left mouse clicking on the origin, LC will then show alternate locations which you can drag it to which includes the center of the piece. You then just drag the origin to one of those spots. If you don't like the new origin location just click "reset origin". You should do this after "autoclean". Make sure the rapids button is on /  is highlighted.
Usualy you will what the origin such that all the moves are positive relative to the piece, you don't have to work that way though.
You can also draw a line or lines in cad, on a specific layer, and that layer will created and can be turned off  by clicking the box next to Layer Enabled via the tabbed layer info.

RICH
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:09:39 PM by RICH »
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »
Yeah..... For me, Left mouse button on the origin moves it around... find the center easy... should try that on my next drawing...

THank you..

Ian