Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:00:02 AM

Author Topic: In need of a low speed spindle motor/ palm router  (Read 3381 times)

In need of a low speed spindle motor/ palm router
« on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »
Is there any spindle motors or palm routers for cnc router that aren't jacked up to 15,000 to 30,000 rpms? I got a Rotozip on mine, and it's good for everything not metal.
I just want to do some very light machining on steel, and don't want to burn up my bits. Getting a milling machine is out of the question right now. What I want to do is plunge a 1/16" carbide endmill about .040 into steel, and do it repetitively. I need about 3000 rpms, but even a spindle tool that would go down to 5000 rpms I would be happy with
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:42:53 PM by avirostick »

Offline A1CNC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Re: In need of a low speed spindle motor/ palm router
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
Are you just trying to "plunge rough" or will you be actually milling? If all you are doing is vertical plunging, why not a drill motor? That would give you something with a chuck and a lower spindle speed.

Incidentally, there is such a thing as milling steel with a router, I have done it you just need to use carbide bits and take a shallow cut. With a 1/16" bit try .005" deep and ~ 13"/minute to start. That would work out to .0005" feed per tooth at 13000rpm. with a 2 flute cutter. If you have an air compressor you could point a jet of air at the cutter to cool it and clear the chips. If that works try going deeper incrementally.
You want the chips to be blue.

Good luck, and do wear safety glasses as the chips will not only be small and hot but they will be going EVERYWHERE!
Eric