Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:41:56 AM

Author Topic: support for touch probes  (Read 7206 times)

support for touch probes
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
I'm looking for software support hardware touch probes.  I would like software and/or screens that will use the probe to set up the machine to get ready run a job.  Things like determining the zero point for the work piece, determining the height of the work piece, seeing if it is at an angle, etc.  Also, things like finding the center of a hole or the center of a round work piece.  I did a search on this site and got lots of hits, but I couldn't tell if any of them did what I was looking for.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Mark

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: support for touch probes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »
There was a plugin that worked very well but it doesnt seem to be available anymore and nobody seems to respond about it.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
Well, that seems to have killed the thread completely >:(  Come on, guys.  Are you telling me that nobody else has written anything that supports touch probes under Mach3?  Or maybe everybody that has is making tons of money with it and doesn't want to lose it. 
Touch probes are such a popular topic these days that I find it hard to believe that some of our resident mentors haven't done something to get one going.  And I haven't even mentioned a tool height setting probe.

Please, friends, help us newbies out.
Thanks for all your help in the past and that hopefully yet to come.
Mark Mickelsen

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:33:14 PM »
Have you looked in the downloads tab, plug-ins?  How about when you open Mach, wizards tab at top, digitizing wizard?  Member zarzul sells a touch probe in the bargin basement for $99 I think. There are a ton of custom auto zero scripts floating around. You can make one to do what ever you want if you can't find one that does already.

The offsets page in the standard 1024 set has many of the things your looking for I think, just need to write you some macros to use for a touch probe rather than an edge finder.

Look in the members docs board. I posted some info on a simple touch plate there.

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »
Helo,

I'm new on this forum and a have some questions about de digitize probe.
-Can i mount the probe not in the center of the spindle?
-Can i take the probe for surfacing the plate, because the thickness of plexi isn't the same everywhere. when this is possible i don't need a floating spindle for engraving the plate.

Thanks
Flandermotion

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
The probe can be mounted anywhere on the machine, you will have to know where it is in relation to the spindle so you know how much to offset the x,y positions by.

You can write your own commands into the g-code to take measurements at known points to do this you can use the G31 command.

Graham

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
Thanks,

What is the G-code 31 do? It's a long time a go that i have worked with g-codes normaly i worked with heidnhain.
I have buy mach3 because im working on a prototype of engraving/router machine.

Kurt

•  2,672 2,672
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
G31 z-10 f25. will move the z axis minus 10mm unless it senses the probe touch something. At the touch point it stops and you can take a reading and do what ever you want with the data by calling a M code.

Graham
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
Thanks Graham,

I have also another question. When i use also other specifacly engraving software, is it possible to send a g-code(dnc file)file to mach 3 and that mach 3 its see so that i just have to start without loading the file?

Kurt

•  2,672 2,672
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »
No, Mach3 has to have a file loaded into memory, Mach3 has no limit on file size.

Graham