Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:00:04 AM

Author Topic: Getting My Machine to Move  (Read 5177 times)

Getting My Machine to Move
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
I've been running turbocnc for dos for years on my machine, notebook cratered and wanted to go to windows based so I fired up a new workstation with vista and installed turbocnc 5 windows with I think there is a bug preventing different pitch on leadscrews because my two axis that have the same pitch work fine but I cannot get it to move correct distance for my axis with different pitch no matter what I try. The machine moves great and very smooth but can't get my x-axis correct. So, I installed Mach3 and ran registry patch then drivertest, all worked fine and NO BSOD so I continued to configure.  I even tried following step by step of the installatio video.  No matter what I try I cannot get it to move correctly.  I've run into this years ago when I first tried it and just stuck with my dos program but now need to figure out why I cannot make it work.  Here is my setup.

Gecko 201's
250oz stepper motors
y&z axis 14pitch
x axis 13 pitch
1:1 gear ratio

turbocnc screen

I've tried starting with 2000 steps/inch all the way up to 32000 and all kinds of accelleration and velocity

any ideas on how to get me moving correctly. I can get it moving kind of but not correctly and not smooth and of course not in the correct increments
Re: Getting My Machine to Move
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
You have the STEP and DIR pin assignments reversed.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »
When you say pitch are you meaning TPI or is that mm pitch?

Are you setting up the machine as Inch or Metric?

If it is Inch you are setting up and TPI in the above then X would be 26,000 steps per inch and Y and Z 28,000 steps per inch.
If you are setting up in metric and it is mm pitch in the above then X would be 153.846 steps per mm and Y and Z 142.857 steps per mm.

Also run the DriverTest.exe and see what the pulse looks like.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »
Good catch but unfortunately that was the only one I had reversed.

You have the STEP and DIR pin assignments reversed.

TPI and machine is set to Inch

Here is screeny of my drivertest.exe

I set the steps/in as you said with same results.  I'm wondering if it doesn't like my driver board.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »
Your driver test is not very good, even though it says it is.
Do the axis move at all?
Is the Reset button flashing?

Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
Really, why is that?

No the motors make noise.  I got them to move once playing with settings but they sounded bad.  I'll post a video of with mach and with turbocnc

Reset button is not flashing and when it does I just click to turn off.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »
because it should ideally look like a flat line or with occasional interference.

Try increasing the pulse width although with Geckos it should be fine at 0 but some need it as high as 6 or 7 due to the computer.

Hood

Offline mr.c

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
I don't see any ground wires on your axis connections. Also, I have had some drives that wouldn't operate with an active low setting.