Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:37:55 AM

Author Topic: Table layout Y direction in Mach  (Read 2641 times)

Table layout Y direction in Mach
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »
I am wondering if I can layout my Y axis from top left corner instead of bottom left as my tool starts home position in top left.
Then I would also have to layout in L-Cam too or CamBam or ??

X is ok as tool moves from left to right.
It is my table that moves. When homed the table is towards me and tool is at the back left corner.

I would like to be able to just place my work on the table to the left and away from me and go.
My thinking is the table has to move all the way back before the tool is in a start position.
If it could start near the table start position would save movement time??
I have permanent edges on the left and away sides of the table and slots in table to hold work in that position
((old dahlgren engraver)) 12" x 24"
If leave tool position at towards me then I am reaching under to place material on table which is away .

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I think I confused myself even more.........Still wiring up the motors and board....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:06:47 AM by dragonstone »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Table layout Y direction in Mach
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
You can home any axis in any direction you wish and still have the machine coords zero position correct. For example on my mill the table moves to the right and to the front, this means the tool is at the left back which in turn means the X is correct but the Y is not as it is at its max positive movement. The way to get round that is on the Homing and limits page you put a Home Off value of the travel of that axis. This then means when you home, instead of the Y axis showing Zero for machine coords, it shows the travel of your table. On my mill the Y axis travel is 400mm so when I home the machine coords DRO shows it is positive 400mm.

Hood
Re: Table layout Y direction in Mach
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
Ok I think I got it.  My table is 24" x 12", so my home position for X will be 0" and Y at 12"
Then when I start the run it will then go to position in code for start, which could be the first position cut and not actually X0 and Y0.
I have the motors working now and movement on the machine.  My Z axis is only .390" total travel which is very small as this was an old engraving machine. So I have to find a place to mount limit switches as over travel is too easy.

I am working on how to build a longer travel assembly. but still use the existing spindle and motor setup.
Think It might be easier to go to a small laminate trimmer and build a whole new mount.
Thanks for you help
Earl