Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:23:25 PM

Author Topic: Mach crashes, machine still moving!  (Read 3726 times)

Offline JEB

•  3 3
    • View Profile
Mach crashes, machine still moving!
« on: November 15, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »
I have been using MACH3 with the router that I built and everything has been trouble free for about 15 months.  Recently, things have been getting a little glitchy:
-If I minimize the MACH3 window while the machine is running, the feedrate goes to about 1% and the DRO looses the 0,0,0 origin position.
-The occasional strange move: a random 3/4" plunge after an e-stop.

So I figured the driver was corrupted, and while I was at it, I installed the latest version.  Things have gotten worse.  After the update:
-when jogging, MACH3 froze, but the machine continued to move untill I pressed the estop switch!

I think a full reinstall is in my future, anyone have any better ideas?
-JEB

Offline JEB

•  3 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mach crashes, machine still moving!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »
..........and now everything seems to be working fine.  I'll run a couple of parts and hopefully there won't be any disasters.
-JEB
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »
I have been using MACH3 with the router that I built and everything has been trouble free for about 15 months.  Recently, things have been getting a little glitchy:
-If I minimize the MACH3 window while the machine is running, the feedrate goes to about 1% and the DRO looses the 0,0,0 origin position.
-The occasional strange move: a random 3/4" plunge after an e-stop.

So I figured the driver was corrupted, and while I was at it, I installed the latest version.  Things have gotten worse.  After the update:
-when jogging, MACH3 froze, but the machine continued to move untill I pressed the estop switch!

I think a full reinstall is in my future, anyone have any better ideas?
-JEB

It's really not a good idea to resize/minimize/maximize windows while Mach3 is running.  Best to just leave it alone as much as possible.  V4 will be MUCH better in this regard, as the display will be running in a separate, lower priority, thread.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
I echo Ray's comment and also add "not to play with your mouse".
RICH

Offline JEB

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:42:41 AM »
agreed, thanks.
would you also say that switching between tabs within mach is also not recommended? (from the prog. run screen to the MDI or toolpath screen, for example)
One detail I forgot to mention before is that on a couple of occasions the crashes resulted from moving to another screen within mach3.
Thanks,
JEB

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »
If I switch screens, my router will stutter every time. My screenset with a huge amount of image buttons is partly to blame, as well as an old, slow PC (1Ghz). But it's rock solid if I don't change screens.

Once you hit run, don't do anything else, and you shouldn't have any problems.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html