Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:00:52 PM

Author Topic: DSPMC controller and Orom Servo Driver/Motor interface  (Read 10041 times)

Offline xavi

•  17 17
    • View Profile
DSPMC controller and Orom Servo Driver/Motor interface
« on: November 13, 2009, 06:29:17 AM »
Dear All;

My name is xavi. I am new in the forum I have posted this question on general topics but was advice to post under this section.
I am trying to set up an X-Y positionner, to move an antenna in X-Y plane controlled by a PC.  My main problem is on connection between the DSPMC/IP controller and the Omron servo driver.  I haven't used/build machine control tools/software before, but i need to set up the positionner so we can start with the practical experiment on the research we are doing. I have been watching the Mach3 video tutorial and also reading the omron servos and DSPMC user guides but there is no metion on how to interface them two, therefore I still have few questions.  So I am kindly open to any suggestion from you guys.  We have the following devices with us:

Mach3 Software

From Omron:
2x Omron Servo Driver   R88D UA12V               (one drive the x-axis and the other for y-axis)
2x Omron Servo Motor     R88M U40030VA S1   (one drive the x-axis and the other for y-axis)   

From vital system:
1x DSPMC/IP Controller from vital system  (is able to controll up to 6 axis as it say on the data sheet)
2x 7711 breakout board (to be connected j2 and J6 of DSPMC/IP)
1x 7535 Digital I/O board  (to be connected j4 of DSPMC/IP)

The connection between the 7711/7535 and the DSPMC/IP are straight forward following the user manual. The home and limit switches are to be directly connected (through the 7535) to J4pins of the DSPMC controller.   

Problems i am having...

1 -The user guide of the controller on the hardware connection the DAC and Amp enable output signal goes into the analogue servo amp.  In our case we will be using Servo driver How many connections from the DSPMC controller to Servo driver (SD) are needed to run the motor ?  (suppose 1 axis only) and which pins should I connect to on the servo driver CN1 port.

2 - The Servo Motor (SM) as encoder output can I connect it straight in to J6 of the controller (using the breakout board) or It is better to connect to the CN2 of the Servo driver (SD), and from the  SD CN1 pins 20 - 25 (the encoder output) connect to J6 pins of the DSPMC/IP controller ? 

I am looking forward for any suggestion on how to connect them two.

Thanks in advance
Re: DSPMC controller and Orom Servo Driver/Motor interface
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »
Hello Xavi:

I am not familiar with the Omron servo driver or motor. However I am in the process of implementing a dspmc/IO controller on an existing machine with DC brush motors, and analog +/- 10v. servo drivers. My installation is not complete, but there are several members with finished operational systems, who may add further commentary.

The analog +/- 10v. control signal is generated by the dspmc controller, and is output through port J2, board 7711.  The servo driver reads this voltage, and moves the motor accordingly. The pin on your servo driver should be labeled "signal" somewhere in the data sheet. The servo motor also outputs a Tach signal, which is wired to the servo drive, and not the dspmc controller. Also, the analog output for each axis should have the ground from the 7711 board to the servo driver. Board 7711, port J2, pin #15 on the 7711 is the X axis analog output, pin #3 is the Y axis analog output, and Pin #17 is ground. The X and Y axis wiring should be twisted pairs, shielded cable.

In the dspmc guide, the X axis is labeled 0, the Y axis is labeled 1, the Z axis is labeled 2, and the A axis is labeled 3.

Regarding the encoder outputs, they must go to the dspmc through the J6 connector. The encoder outputs are 5v. These connections are A+, B+, Z+(the encoder  reference) +5v, Ground.
All of these signal wires must be done with shielded wire, and the cable shielding connected at only one end, to the chassis ground, not the signal ground of the encoder, or controller, or servo drive.

The 7711 boards are not opto-isolated, so be careful working with the connections. The 7535 board is opto-isolated.

After making the connections, the servo drivers will have to be tuned, and adjusted properly, using the software from Vital Systems, AxisWorks.  The data sheets for the Omron servo drives should have a basic setup or starting point regarding the pot settings for gain, tach, balance, etc.

John

Offline xavi

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »
Hello John...

Sorry I couldn't replay sooner... Thanks for your replay... I have found the analogue connections on for the servo driver and dspmc controller but still don't sure about the digital part. I will try with the analogue connection only to see if it work. 
I will keep an update of the problems I will be facing...

thanks
xavier
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
xavi:

The "digital part" is the encoder signals. The encoders must be connected, as they supply the feedback to the controller for position and direction. The motor "tach" signal goes strictly to the servo driver.

John

Offline xavi

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »
Hi John...
You are right the encoder signal is digital and I will be connecting it to servo driver and from servo driver CN1 port pin (20 -25) I will connect it to the controller J6 to from the feedback network. 
My problem is from the controller connection diagram (on page 18) the ports J4 or J5 are used to connect the switches (home, limit, e-stop etc), moreover there is also connection(s) that goes to the servo amplifier "e.g AMP enable output". I don't really know what does it do and where in my servo driver port CN1 I should connect.  I have included the pdf files for the controller and the Onrom servo driver. the CN1 pin configuration are on chapter 5 page5-8. 

On your design apart from the signal for the axis, switches and encoder, are there any other you are using....
Looking forward for your replaying.

regards
xavi

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
AMP enable output looks like it should go to pin 14 on the servo amp.
The amp enable from Mach3 turns the drives on with a slight delay so they all don't come on at once and overload the power supply. It will also disable the drives all at once when the e-stop is applied.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline xavi

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »
Dear Mike;

Thanks for you comment. At the moment I haven't yet made all the connection as the health and safety guys decided we have to put all the power supply units on special box.  As soon as it sorted I will post or keep you guys with possible problems I might face.

Thanks

xavi

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »
Those Omron Drives and motors are just rebranded Yaskawa parts.

The only other problem you might have is whether they are active High or Active Low signals. What I mean is - Active High is expecting you to supply 24V when you enable it. Active low means you will be pulling the signal to ground when you enable it.

You will also want to check and see how close to 10V your control signal ican get. I have had a CNC unit that only put out 9.5V so I had to adjust that setting in the drive to get max speed.