Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:54:07 AM

Author Topic: Motion Controller to Mach3 Problems  (Read 14823 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Motion Controller to Mach3 Problems
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
Those drivers look ideal to use with Mach and the documentation is good, identifying the step and direction pins ( which is what you need to know ).
You should have very little trouble hooking these up directly to your LPT port ( as it looks like the opto isolators are already included in the driver ).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:16 AM »
HMM.....
Very brief look at the driver manual. Looks like you can bypass their board and go directly to the driver.
You can select 1/8 step for microstepping, the frequency rate may limit ipm, disable the current limiting function ( if automaticaly turns off during an idle time you may have problems) and  they give you what you need in general, so that looks promising.

Now, how the other board is tied into the drivers ( ie; if cable that's rather easy, if via the board it's  mounted on then you need to trace it all out PITA/ not impossible ) and i haven't the foggiest idea without looking at it.
You'll probably need to do some rewiring where the DB25  is connected to the first board.

STRONGLY,  suggest you find someone that is familar with electronics to help you out as otherwise you can ruin what you have. Also before you attempt doing all this try and find out how the drivers preform after a modiication
as you may go through a lot of work and not be satisfied in the end.

FWIW, I have four drivers sitting here that realy need to be run by programing via dos, etc, and a rep was kind enough to say they were "old" technology,  yes you could convert them , but their operation would be very unsatisfactory. I kind of got that feeling about you drivers, but then, i can be totaly wrong.

It's your stuff......LOL,
RICH
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:16:12 AM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
Tweakie could be right on the drivers, like i said, i know nothing about them.  ;)
RICH
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »
Hi I found a manual on the stepper motor driver and found out which pins are used I have attached the manual with the pins could you tell me if I would be able to go directly from the LPT port.Pins 1-5 are used from the LPT1 breakout board'
Overdrive
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:08:09 AM by overdrive915 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
The final diagram on page 6 looks like the way to go.
You will need 6 output pins from the breakout board (step and direction for each of 3 axis).
My LPT port handles 20 mA to ground OK but LPT ports may not all be the same so observe a little caution here (current limiting resistors if necessary).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 05:37:16 AM »
Hi
Thanks for all the info and steering me in the right direction I will be attempting these connections in next day or two and will let you know if I blow up my PC or if it works
Overdrive ;D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 06:15:10 AM »
It will work - I have every confidence in your ability.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
Hi to all
I have tried to override the breakout board and connect straight to the drivers from the LPT1 port. I am getting forward movement on the A axis fairly good and no reverse. X Y Z only small movement forward. Happy so far with the progress but I think the problem is on the LPT1 port not giving enough supply or I have already blown the port, have ordered a new breakout board will wait for it to arrive and then try again in the meantime will sort out all the limits and do some programming to get started  and test a printer on this port.  ;D
A Big Thanks to all for the help.

Powerglide4949
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:19:02 AM by overdrive915 »
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 06:58:54 AM »
Tweakie

Happiness is ;D  I have managed to get this system running with much perseverance and it has payed off. I now have a new problem where the system runs for about 2 minutes the motors stop turning I am running straight from the LPT1 port could it be that there is not enough power being supplied from this port or do you think it is something else. Could you please try help me on this one.

Thanks Overdrive915

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 07:16:13 AM »
Take a look at the current limiting.
"disable the current limiting function ( if automaticaly turns off during an idle time you may have problems)"
RICH