Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:25:29 PM

Author Topic: Motion Controller to Mach3 Problems  (Read 14825 times)

Motion Controller to Mach3 Problems
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »
Hi I am not sure if i am posting this in the right place but here goes
I have just built a cnc engraver and am using a motion control 4 axis unit has anybody used Mach3 software to run a unit like this. I have just purchased the Mach3 software and have spent 2 days trying to get this setup to run with no success.
The steppers will only run in one direction that is when they run under test but as soon as i try to run a program the make a noise and do not run. Is there anybody who has managed to run a combination like this I would realy appreciate some help.
Thanks Stanley ??? 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motion Controller to Mach3 Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
Can you provide a link to what you actually have. If it is the chinese stepper drives have a look and see if there is an option to change between  CW/CCW or Step/Dir. Reason I say this is I recently fitted an extra spindle to my coil winder and the dip switch setting in the manual was wrong, it was opposite to what it should have been so when I had it set for Step/Dir it was actually CW/CCW.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:36:55 AM »
Hi I'm not to sure how to do this but here goes http://www.motiongroup.com/cnc.shtml this site has the equipment that I am using I did give them a call last night and they were unable to tell me if Mach3 would work on this system.
I have this setup on Max NC-10 wave drive  and LTP1 printer.
Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:00:09 AM »
Could you tell us which of the manuals, shown on the website, relates to your controller. Their info is quite comprehensive but seems to lack some of the very basic details.

Tweakie
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:05:23 AM »
Hi It is the DLX 2000(2/3/4 AXES with I/O) manual that I have got.
Thanks.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:46:30 AM »
OVERDRIVE915,
I just quickly scanned through the manual.
First ask the manufacturer for the info on how to use their controller for Mach2 since they say it is compatable with it. There is a card internal to the controller box and not sure how that directs the signals from the PC to the motor drives / what influence a windows based system will have on it ( i think i read that if using their sofware it must be run using DOS . I can quess a few things but it is better that you get specific info from the manufacturer.

Ask them this:
How do i properly interface Mach2, which is a windows based program, to their controller? Are there any settings which you should be concerned with? ( ie; pulse width ) If they "mumble mouth" you / not showing support for their
product, get your money back! I know nothing about the quality of their motor drives.

RICH
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:54:41 AM by RICH »
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
RICH,
They say they have heard of people using the Mach Software and the system is working that was about all they could tell me. All I managed to find out was that maxnc built their controller.
 It has a LS7084 and a NE555 timer in it for each drive and then separate  motor controllers for each axis. I suppose if all else fails I will have to use their DOS software and build another system that will work with Mach Software.

OVERDRIVE915

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
You may be able to bypass their board and use the PP output to their drivers but,,,,,,you willl void any warranty you have. Their program is DOS based and that goes back a long time ago, and, i doubt very much it has the capability of MACH . Additioinaly in the info that i scanned it says / or implies that ouput via Windows  caused motor problems. I would have pushed to get my money back with a crap answer like that from them. Don't know what else to say.
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:13:38 AM »
Having read through the documentation, I think Rich has summed it up perfectly.
Sorry to say this but the controller you have is quite old technology compared with the modern stuff. It appears that the best it can do is quarter step and although this is OK eighth step or better produces much smoother operation and is far more tolerant to the acceleration/deceleration of mass.
If you are just starting out on CNC I think you would be struggling with this and would be better placed to use Gecko drives (or similar) for your machine.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:51:22 AM »
Hi I Have managed to find out what drivers they have in this unit  the sit link is http://www.nyden.com/products/2series/DC%20driver/sd230.htm Maybe you would be able to advise me as to what I will be able to use with them I would appreciate all the help that I can get as I would like to use Mach software as I find it very friendly to use.

OVERDRIVE915