Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:18:16 PM

Author Topic: How many pulses for a lathe spindle encoder is really needed?  (Read 8652 times)

Re: How many pulses for a lathe spindle encoder is really needed?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »
I haven't done much internal threading. Can get away with tapping most of the time......
Shouldn't have any problem. You may want to try just an external thread thread first to gain some experience and see how it goes. Don't know if your lathe is punney or robust.

The big difference to CNC, is that with a manual lathe, you can always adjust the depth cut , ie; some brass will work harden, to suite how things are going.
Let us know how you do,
BTW, why not hang on for say a week  if you can, and waite for the improved version of the threading to be posted.
RICH
Hi Rich,

The lathe worked fine with the old Anilam control - not bad for something fron the 1980s.
A M20 thread is I think the small end of its capability.. 5Kw spindle and about 1 to 1.5kw axis servos.

I'll def get the external threading set up first, I better crack on and get the slotted disc and sensor fitted !

ATB
Derek
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:56:58 PM »
Hmm...tid bit for thought,
Flip the internal cutter upside down, thread to the back side of the bore ( you can see what is happening), use the code out of the threading wizard as if it was an external thread ( of course change for internal thread dimensions ).  ???
RICH
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 01:28:37 PM »
Hmm...tid bit for thought,
Flip the internal cutter upside down, thread to the back side of the bore ( you can see what is happening), use the code out of the threading wizard as if it was an external thread ( of course change for internal thread dimensions ).  ???
RICH

Hi Rich,

My head hurts, upside down, back to front AND inside out :-) :-)
I'll try an external thread first, learn to crawl first and all that ;-)

As soon as I have an update, I'll post my efforts.

ATB
Derek
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"