Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:22:18 AM

Author Topic: G-code window is different than file in Notepad  (Read 6763 times)

G-code window is different than file in Notepad
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
I've just added X and Z axes to a simple Grizzly wood lathe.  I'm successfully using Mach3 on a Dell Latitude D800.  By reading posts on the forum I was able to disable the services that were causing laptop trouble.  Everything appears to be working and I'm about ready start cutting, but the G-code list window is behaving strangely. 

I'm not sure where to post my questions about this.  My G-code file is 375 lines long, well within the 500-line limit.  The code displayed in the G-code list window doesn't match the file that I load.  The first couple hundred lines are right but then it starts repeating lines and omitting other lines.  When I run the code the system works perfectly until it gets up to the problem area.  Then it halts. If I hit the edit button, Notepad comes up and the file is perfect.  When I quit Notepad and go back to the G-code list window the bottom half of the file is still messed up.   Is this because it's unlicensed?  Is the code limit less than 500 lines for Mach3Turn?

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: G-code window is different than file in Notepad
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »
Demo version of Turn is limited to 100 lines.
Hood
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:55:19 AM by Hood »
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »
Are you sure it's 100?  Why doesn't the program give some kind of coherent indication when the limit is reached?  And I'm sure I read 500 lines somewhere, although I just re-read the installation section of the Mach3Turn document and it doesn't say what the limit is.     

Frustrating.....

Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
Servolock,
The line limit is sometimes reached when using a canned cycle. So even though there is only one line of code
it may count as numerous lines.
I would suggest that you purchase a license.
Then your not llimited and won't be frustrated.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »
I'm nor sure what you mean by "canned cycle."  The Gcode came from LazyTurn and looks simple, one command per line.

I was hoping to avoid spending more money until I was sure I was going to be able to get the job done.

And...if the limit's being reached, wouldn't the program give some kine of message?

thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
You get no warning except from exactly what you have seen, ie the toolpath does not display properly and the machine will stop at the limit.
It used to be 500 for Turn a long while ago I think then I thought it was reduced to 250 but when I asked Art a while back he said it was 100 for Turn.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
Thanks for explaining it.  You might tell Art that the program really ought to give a sensible message when reaching the limit. And it should be in the documentation.

I know that because we're running Windows we should be accustomed to cryptic, misleading and absent error messages   .... and because Art doesn't work for Microsoft we're anticipating something better.

Best regards,
Dave

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:02:21 AM »
I have never seen a message saying that the limit was reached.

You will also need a license for LazyTurn as it will replace the the lathe module in LazyCam in the future.
From a turning point of view, the current combination of LazyCam Lathe and LazyTurn, should provide you
what you need.  Hopefully LazyTurn will be completed in the next few months as it still dosn't have a finish pass but that may not be a concern when doing wood.

I not in "sales"  but let me challenge you........

"I have not found, as of this moment, a basic Cam program for the mill and the lathe which has a good manual, excellent knowledgeable support, and provides the level of Cam capability directly into Mach for the cost of the license."

SO if you do find something, please post back and let me know.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »
Probably best if you tell Art or Brian yourself ;)

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:14 AM »
I have made a note on the limits and will put some verbage in the LazyTurn manual at the appropriate time.
The LazyCam manual states that you will get an error whould you try using the Lathe module.
I have nothing to do with the Mach3 Turn manual, but will look for clarity on the subject when it is updated.

Sorry for your time spent not  being able to produce Gcode for your project.

Feel free to post and ask for understanding when something dosen't seem right.

RICH