Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:01:25 AM

Author Topic: Reverse X-axis  (Read 6237 times)

Offline asrin

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Reverse X-axis
« on: October 25, 2009, 04:45:27 AM »
Hi guys,

On my lathe I use a turret and sometimes a normal toolchanger, so I need to reverse the X-Axis. "Homing / Limits / Reversed"

Is it possible to do that in Visual Basic or can I a make the state visible on the screen?

With kindly regards from the Netherlands

A happy Mach3 - User

Riny

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse X-axis
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:08:32 AM »
G51X-2 will reverse the X axis if you are in Dia mode, G51X-1 if in Rad mode, to set back to normal it is G50.

Brian will at some point be doing work on Turn and getting dual front/rear turrets working correctly is high on the list.

Hood

Offline asrin

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 05:27:51 AM »
Hi Hood,

Thanks for your answer. So I know what I have to do.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Riny
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:24:06 AM »

Brian will at some point be doing work on Turn and getting dual front/rear turrets working correctly is high on the list.

Hood

I finally figured all that out by putting G51X-2 surrounded by parenthesis at the appropriate point in my post processor with a G50 with NO parenthesis at the end.

So i just remove the parenthesis when parting.

Hope Brian does the soft limits as well soon. ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
To me soft limits are not much use on a lathe, they could be helpful for max positive direction on both X and Z but min direction is normally a waste of time but thats just my opinion and in no way am I against having them.
 Brian is doing major work on the coordinate system which will affect the offsets and it will make things like Front/Rear toolpost operation much easier to implement so I would imagine softlimits would also be looked at as they will fall into the same category.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »
As a new user of the lathe my confidence was shot to pieces due to one of my mistakes in setting up the lathe software.

I just couldn't hit the ignore soft limit box popup.

I am still in the process of learning but i have successfully made some small parts that included parting off using a rear post.

I have also just done a beautiful thread only 12mm dia x 15mm long and am closely following the "Problems threading on the lathe"

So my confidence is slowly coming back

Phil

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
A lot of people say CNC lathe is much easier than mill and they tend to say because it has one less axis as their justification. All I can say is I find a CNC lathe as much harder to use and much more intimidating, especially when you have multiple tools sticking out in all directions in the turret and toolpost.
I am still wary of my lathe but think nothing of working the mill, main reason is the worst that is likely to happen on the mill is snap a tool or chew up a clamp. The Lathe however doesnt bear thinking about if I had a serious crash, chuck chewed up, turret ripped off, spindle bent etc etc.
Things get less stressful with time but I still twitch when I think  about the consequences of a 25Kg chuck spinning at 2000rpm being smashed by a 400Kg saddle at 10m/min ;D

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »
Right on Hood. There are just so many stupid things that you can do and not realize it.
I always have the Estop switch in my hand. There is a different thinking when using the lathe.
The bigger the machine the worst damage that can occur. The closer you work to the chuck or tailstock,
the longer I just stop and take a look at things before hitting the start button. Even with a the kill switch in
you hand there is almost no time to react.

The best way to build up confidence is to just use the lathe. Go through each of the wizards. Hmm....been trying to do that for over a year!  ;)
RICH

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
So what do you do just have soft limits turned off

Phil

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
Yes thats correct, as I said I wouldn't use them even if they were available  as certainly on my machine they would not be much  use(possibly X and Z positive would be useful but negative not). Again I am not saying that  is the way everyone should work, it is just my way of thinking and hopefully Brian will address that when he gets to Turn, in fact I think he will be as I had mentioned that to be one of the things to be looked at when RC mentioned about them a year or so ago.

Hood