Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:04:42 PM

Author Topic: testing programs (updated 10/22 with more Q's)  (Read 3320 times)

testing programs (updated 10/22 with more Q's)
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
going to sound real stupid but I need a few test programs to test my X2 Minimill and Probotix sidestepper kit running mach3.  I just have the axis done, no limitswitches or home switches mounted yet.  I have them just not mounted them.  I need some thing to start tuning the minimill.  Any help out there?  I was thinking of a spiral program to run with a sharpie and a rectangular spiral.  Then I could just tape a sheet of paper to the table and test the 2 axis.  

I downloaded the roadrunner program but it keeps crashing into the end of the table travels.  I figure that can not be good for the motors or the mill.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:21:14 AM by krymis »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: testing programs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
Use the Circular Pocket or rectangular pocket  wizards to do what you want.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »
krymis,
To do some initial tuning and checking out of your mill.
Open Mach 3 Mill, then click the Settings tab at the top  of the screen, click the set steps per unit above the Reset button. In the fly out, put how far you want to go ( you can use a "ruler"), the axis will move and the screen will ask you how far you noved, you then tell it and it automaticaly sets your stepss. Very fast and accurate.

Now go to Config>ports & pins> motor tuning > do a velocity of 10 and a accel of 1 and see if the motors skip,
 if they don't ....increase the steps  per unit by 10 and accel by 1, try until thr motors skip. At that point back off by say 70%.
RICH
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »
You could use the scaling function in Mach3 if the roadrunner is too big.

Jeff
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »
this is the initial setup info that i need thank you.  Any other tips on using the scaling functions and helpful setup tips?  

I am i correct in my set up steps that follow:
Start Mach 3
Reset E-stop
Ref Home switches in machine cord. setting
Change from Machine cord. to Work cord.
Jog to material zero XYZ
Zero DRO in Work Cord. setting
Regen tool path
Check both displays (table and tool path) to make sure they are where I want them and the tool path will not over shoot the limits
Run Program...

If you see and issues with the initial set up please let me know. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:37:16 AM by krymis »