Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:50:22 AM

Author Topic: Lathe G83 Peck Drilling Problem  (Read 7670 times)

Lathe G83 Peck Drilling Problem
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
Hi,

I cannot get the G83 Peck Drilling routine to work.  I have read "Topic: couple of things I have noticed with mach /g83 problem " and it appears that some can get it to work albeit with reported bugs relating to minimum peck distances. 

I have tried in vain with the codes attached.

In desperation I hand coded the Centre Spot Drill Template_B which uses simple G01 and G00 movements.  This works fine.

Where have I gone wrong with the G83 routines?

I am using the latest lockdown release of Mach3 Version R3.041 and SmoothStepper Plugin.

Regards

Chrisjh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe G83 Peck Drilling Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:19 AM »
What is wrong when you try the G83?
Also the min peck bug as you call it is not a bug, it is just that the increments in the macro were such that if someone used abnormally small pecks over a long distance then the macro would run out of repeatss before the depth requested was reached. It is an easy fix to adjust the macro.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »
Hi Hood,

The machine starts the spindle, moves to the start position, does not drill at all, then withdraws and stops.

I have also tried single step mode to see if I can see what happens block by block.

It behaves like Mach3 is not seeing the G83 Line of code at all.

Regards

Chrisjh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:15:24 AM »
can you attach your xml, also make sure you have the m1083 macro.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:59:37 AM »
Thanks Hood for taking the time to help sort this out.  Very much appreciated!!

xml file as requested:

Regards

Chrisjh
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:30:49 PM »
I solved the problem :D

For some unknown reason when I set up my profile for the laptop in my shed, the "macro" folder was missing a lot of files. 

When I compared the contents of the "MachTurn" macro folder with my "chrisjh_turn_shed" folder there were a lot of files missing. 

I copied the contents of MachTurn macro folder into "chrisjh_turn_shed" folder and fixed the problem.  One of the many missing files was M1083.m1s which is why the peck drill routine did not work.

I don't understand how this happened as I started off with "MachTurn" profile and saved it as the new profile.

I tested to see if G83.1 mode works as described in the manual.  It behaves the same as G83.  I presume that this is because there in no M1083.1.m1s macro.

Chrisjh