Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:50:02 AM

Author Topic: minimum PC requirements for Mach3  (Read 14769 times)

minimum PC requirements for Mach3
« on: October 17, 2009, 03:47:29 AM »
Is there a list of required windows components that are required by Mach3?  I know about the optimization list but would like to go all the way with Nlite and make a 'perfect' XP or 2000 installation that will give maximum performance on my 'old' hardware.
Steve
Re: minimum PC requirements for Mach3
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »
If you use nlite to do a slipstream , you can get xp down to below 300mb , but , carefull.
Just take out foreign languages and foreign keyboards , wallpapers , screensavers etc.
you'll end up with a very basic xp or 2000 os. which will work fine with Mach.

Just make sure you have at least a 1ghz processor and 512 mb ram.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
Is there a list of required windows components that are required by Mach3?  I know about the optimization list but would like to go all the way with Nlite and make a 'perfect' XP or 2000 installation that will give maximum performance on my 'old' hardware.
Steve

What do you hope to gain by this?  Just following the optimization instructions will get you down to a pretty bare-bones system with very low overhead (typically 1-2%).  Going beyond that is not going to give you any measurable, much less perceptible, benefit.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:14:56 AM »
LESS background crap.

ED
Ed VanEss
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:48 AM »
Steve

What do you hope to gain by this?  Just following the optimization instructions will get you down to a pretty bare-bones system with very low overhead (typically 1-2%).  Going beyond that is not going to give you any measurable, much less perceptible, benefit.

Regards,
Ray L.
What can be gained is a whole lot less 'crap' running that we don't need.  I can easily get windows 2000 to a 65 meg footprint.  This runs very nicely on a modest under 1 gig processor with 512 meg or ram.  This will boot up in about 15 seconds.  Nlite allows you to remove IE and Outlook express plus a ton of other crap - IE and Outlook are big security leaks and we are better off without them (they also take up ram even when not in use.)  I will happily post a data file that Nlite can use so users can create an optimum version of 2000 and XP once I figure out what can be killed.
Steve
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »
Right on Steve,

Nlite has a good tutorial on what can be removed. Games , movie maker,media player, plus all the other" crap" mentioned, plus a lot more. Most people don't realize how much of this crap is running in the background and using resourses. Win 2000 and xp are the most reliable os we have. Win 7 , like Vista , sucks big time. 7 doesn't even come with an e-mail program.and it's bloated like Vista.
   Yes , Steve , you got it right. Go for it. 8)

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
Win 7 , like Vista , sucks big time. 7 doesn't even come with an e-mail program.and it's bloated like Vista.

Blah, blah, blah, MS sucks, blah, blah, blah...<insert the rest of the standard mindless MS bashing here>

Actually when you install Win7 Pro, one of the updates it will ask you about is called something like 'Windows Live Essentials', which includes, Messenger, mail, Writer, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Family Safety, etc, etc. So they are not including things that may not be required by all folks using Win7 Pro but they are available for FREE download. (Is that the 'crap' you were complaining about?) In a similar fashion Win7 Home and Win7 Enterprise will have different things included based on the general requirements of that target audience.

Windows always has been a general purpose operation system, there will always be a few things running that all users will not benefit from. But they had to include a set of features that would meet the needs of 80% or the target audience.

If you think Windows sucks so bad then why not write your own OS from scratch?

Sorry, nothing personal but mindless bashing of MS or anything else annoys me...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ed VanEss
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
Steve

Regards,
Ray L.
What can be gained is a whole lot less 'crap' running that we don't need.  I can easily get windows 2000 to a 65 meg footprint.  This runs very nicely on a modest under 1 gig processor with 512 meg or ram.  This will boot up in about 15 seconds.  Nlite allows you to remove IE and Outlook express plus a ton of other crap - IE and Outlook are big security leaks and we are better off without them (they also take up ram even when not in use.)  I will happily post a data file that Nlite can use so users can create an optimum version of 2000 and XP once I figure out what can be killed.
Steve

That may all make you feel better, but in terms of actual performance, it'll make no measurable difference whatsoever.  Perhaps it'll free up a few Megs of RAM, but that too will not map into any measurable increase in performance.  IE and Outlook security?  They're perfectly secure as long as you don't USE them.  Having services loaded that are not used costs essentially nothing - they'll be swapped out if memory is tight, and they'll be using no measurable CPU, since they're be forever asleep, unless you actually use them.  Doing all that work won't make Mach3 run one tiny bit better or faster.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »
Steve ,

There you have it. ALL negative. but we both know better.
As far as Vista goes , why is it, MILLIONS are downgrading  to XP? duh.
I'm sure you know the answer.
And for Jeff , I never said all windows were crap , but Vista must be.( see above)

Acually , I would use your win 2000, its even better than xp.
Ed VanEss